Hallandale High School
Hallandale High School
720 NW 9th Avenue, Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
"Catch the Vision"
The Thunderbolt (Newspaper)
Hallandale High is an All Magnet High School. The Magnet programs are broken down into three houses. The two major being Communications and International Affairs. Also there is the Urban Teacher Academy. Under these programs classes are based around these fields:
- Graphic Arts
- Mechanical Engineering
- Criminal Justice
- The Arts
- The Lightning Times is the official student newspaper of Hallandale High School. The Lightning Times is published monthly on a print edition and is updated regularly on their student run website.
- Also there is HDTV News which is run by students with the help of their teacher.
As of 2011, the total student enrollment was 1,826. The ethnic makeup of the school was 25% White, 53% Black, 20% Hispanic, 1% Asian or Pacific Islander, 1% Multiracial, and 0% Native American or Native Alaskan.
- Frankie Hammond, NFL NUMBER #85 for the Kansas City Chiefs
- Lawrence Gordon, CFL player of the Edmonton Eskimos
- Butch Rolle, NFL player of the Buffalo Bills with 4 Super Bowl appearances
- Davin Joseph, NFL player #75 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Lt.Col. James Campbell, Army Ranger and Green Beret
- Nancy Valen, actress
- Captain Steve Shinego, commanding officer of the U.S. Navy guided missile cruiser USS Philippine Sea (CG 58), previously the first commanding officer of the guided missile destroyer USS Gridley (DDG 101), uncle of Navy Lieutenant Gregory Shinego and Army Captain William E. Shinego
•Drew Johnson- Franchise owner of Marriott hotels
Clubs and organizations
Hallandale has a variety of clubs for students to join. Students are welcome to create their own clubs as well. Also there is the 21st century program which offers tutoring for students in mathematics, reading, and SAT/ACT prep.
- Student Government Association
- National Honor Society
- Educators of America
- Business Professionals of America
- Best Buddies
- Key Club
- First Priority
- Charger Spirit Initiative
- "HALLANDALE HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Administration - Principal's Message". Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- Enrollment Counts[dead link]