|Opened||July 18, 1939|
|Construction cost||CHF 147 million
EUR € 119 million
|Architect||Architekturbüro Karl Egender – Renovation by Nussli Group|
|ZSC Lions (1950–present)|
Designed by Bruno Giacometti, it opened on July 18, 1939, and was renovated in 2005.
The arena is located in the quarter of Oerlikon in northern Zürich and has a capacity of up to 13,000 spectators in boxing.
Bicycle race events were held in the Hallenstadion in its first year of service, 1939, and most years since then. The classic Zürcher 6-Tagerennen (Zürich 6-day race) began there in 1954, running on its characteristic oval of wooden boards, until the arena closed temporarily for renovation in 2004. The event is run there again now, in a more modern atmosphere.
The Hallenstadion hosted the Ice Hockey World Championships in 1998, along with Basel, and is the home stadium of the Swiss ice hockey team ZSC Lions. In February 2006, it hosted semi-finals and the final of the 2006 European Men's Handball Championship.
It had been the home of the annual Zürich Open, a WTA Tour tennis tournament that was discontinued after 25 years in 2008. On the 21 December 2010, tennis will return to the arena with an exhibition featuring Roger Federer against Rafael Nadal, for the benefit of Federer's foundation.
Hallenstadion has hosted many concerts, by artists of many different genres.
- Cher performed on May 29, 2004 during her marathon Living Proof: The Farewell Tour.
- Britney Spears had performed at the arena 3 times during her worldwide tours. The First time was during Oops!... I Did It Again Tour in 2000, the second on 2004 during The Onyx Hotel Tour and the last one during Femme Fatale Tour in 2011.
- Muse performed at the arena on November 18, 2009 during their The Resistance Tour.
- Shakira performed at the arena on November 17, 2010 during The Sun Comes Out World Tour.
- Lady Gaga performed here on the 26 and 27 September 2012 as part of her Born This Way Ball Tour in front of 14,000 each night.
- Laura Pausini performed here as part of her tour called Inedito World Tour in 2012 promoting her new album Inedito.
- Jennifer Lopez performed here on October 10, 2012 as part of her Dance Again World Tour.
- Nicki Minaj was set to perform on October 17, 2012 on her Pink Friday: Reloaded Tour to promote her new album Pink Friday:Roman Reloaded, but the show was cancelled .
- Beyoncé performed to a sold out crowd for The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour on May 17, 2013.
- Rihanna had performed at the arena 5 times during her worldwide tours. The First time was during Last Girl on Earth Tour on 19 April 2010, second time during Loud Tour in November 7 and December 10, 2011. Also concert will take place on the 29th and 30 June 2013 in the Diamonds World Tour
- One Direction performed a concert with Take Me Home Tour on May 16, 2013
- Justin Bieber performed a concer with Believe Tour on March 22, 2013
- Macklemore performed a concert on September 20, 2013
Among many others, in August 2005 the 14th Dalai Lama gave several teachings and initiations as well as a public talk on "The Art of Happiness" open for everyone within 10 days.
- "Geschichte" [History]. Sechstagerennen Hallenstadion Zürich (in German). Retrieved February 7, 2010.
- "Zürich Hallenstadion". euro06.com. Retrieved 26 January 2006.[dead link]
- "2006 Men's European Handball Championship". Oceania Handball Federation. February 5, 2006. Retrieved February 7, 2010.
- Twitter / NICKIBANGMINAJ: @NICKIMINAJ Yessss UK Fall. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-07.
- Live | RihannaRihanna. Rihannanow.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-07.
- Take Me Home Tour (One Direction) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved on 2013-09-07.
- "Congress: working to protect the game". FIFA. 5 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hallenstadion.|
- Official web site in German
|European Men's Handball Championship