|• Total||29.38 km2 (11.34 sq mi)|
|Elevation||0.6 m (2.0 ft)|
|• Density||91/km2 (240/sq mi)|
Hallum is a village in the province of Friesland, the Netherlands. It is a village in the municipality of Noardeast-Fryslân and it had a population of around 2,746 in January 2017. The primary language spoken is West Frisian. Before 2019, the village was part of the Ferwerderadiel municipality. The monastery Mariëngaarde was located in Hallum between 1163 and 1578.
The village was first mentioned in the 13th century as Hallem. The etymology is unclear. Hallum is a terp (artificial living mound) village with a radial structure which developed several centuries Before Christ. During the 11th or 12th century, a dike was built linking the village to Stiens and Marrum.
The former Premonstratensian monastery Mariëngaarde (Hortus sanctae Mariae) was located about 1 km to the west of Hallum. It was founded in 1163 by Frederik van Hallum. Later a nunnery was built in Bartlehiem as an outpost. In 1578, it was destroyed during the Reformation and in 1580, all possessions were seized by the States of Friesland.
The Dutch Reformed church has elements from the 12th century. The medieval tower collapsed in 1804 and was rebuilt between 1805 and 1806. Offinga State was a castle along the coast of the Middelzee and probably dated from the 11th century. In 1566, the van Aebingas swore loyalty to Philip II of Spain and were appointed grietman (mayor and judge) of Menaldumadeel, but lost possession of the island of Ameland to the Camminghas. In 1598, during the Dutch Revolt, the estate was plundered and Schelte van Aebinga was briefly imprisoned. In 1738, the estate was demolished.
- Jurjen Bosch (born 1985), professional football player
- Barthold Douma van Burmania (1695-1766), statesman and ambassador to the court of Vienna
- Marijke Groenewoud (born 1999), long-distance long-track speed skater and inline speed skater
- Frederik van Hallum (c. 1125–1175), priest and regular canon, founder of Mariëngaarde
- Maria Sterk (born 1979), marathon speed skater
- Douwe de Vries (born 1982), former professional marathon speed skater and long track speed skater
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2021". Central Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Postcodetool for 9074AA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- Aantal inwoners per woonplaats in Ferwerderadiel op 1 januari 2017 Archived 2017-10-21 at the Wayback Machine - Ferwerderadiel
- "Hallum". Plaatsengids (in Dutch). Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Hallum - (geografische naam)". Etymologiebank (in Dutch). Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- Ronald Stenvert & Sabine Broekhoven (2000). "Mantgum" (in Dutch). Zwolle: Waanders. ISBN 90 400 9476 4. Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Hallum, HH. Frederik en Siardus". Meertens Institute (in Dutch). Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Offinga State te Hallum". Stinsen in Friesland (in Dutch). Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "station Hallum". Stationsweb (in Dutch). Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Aylvapoldermolen". Molen database (in Dutch). Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Jurjen Bosch". World Football (in Dutch). Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Nieuw Nederlandsch Biografisch Woordenboek". Huygens Institute (in Dutch). pp. 231–232. Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Marijke Groenewoud uit Hallum gunt zichzelf een feestje met gefrituurde kip". Leeuwarder Courant (in Dutch). Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Maria Sterk". Speed Skatings Stats. Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Douwe de Vries". Info Strada Sports. Retrieved 31 March 2022.
Media related to Hallum at Wikimedia Commons