Hallyeohaesang National Park
|Hallyeohaesang National Marine Park|
|Area||545.63 km2 (210.67 sq mi)|
|Established||31 December 1968|
|Governing body||Korea National Park Service|
Hallyeo Haesang National Park (Korean: 한려해상국립공원, 閑麗海上國立公園) in South Korea was designated as national park in 1968 in accordance with Natural Park Act. It comprises six districts: Sangju-Geumsan Mt. district, Namhaedaegyo district, Sacheon district, Tongyeong-Hansan district, Geoje-Haegeumgang district and Yeosu-Odongdo district. The total area is 545.63 km2 (210.67 sq mi) with 395.49 km2 (152.70 sq mi) being marine area and 150.14 km2 (57.97 sq mi) being land area.
Flora and fauna
The National Park is known to have 1142 species of plants including Red Pine, Black Pine, Common Camellia, Serrata Oak, Cork Oak as well as rare species such as Nadopungnan (Sedirea Japonica), Daeheongnan (Cymbidium Nipponicum) and the Korean winter hazel. It boasts 25 mammal species, 115 bird species, 16 reptile species, 1,566 insect species, and 24 freshwater fish species, including the vulnerable bird species Pitta nympha, also known as the Fairy Pitta. In February 2015, a North Pacific Right Whale, one of the rarest and most endangered whales in the world, was entangled in a mussel farm, and possibly fled from it later in nearby (within Namhae County). This was the first record of the species in 41 years in South Korea since the catch off east coast, and was possibly the first official record of live animal in East Sea in modern times.
- "Hallyeohaesang: Intro". Korea National Park Service. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- "Hallyeohaesang: Flagship Species". Korea National Park Service. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- Kim, H.W., K.J. Park, H. Sohn, Y.-R. An, D.-H. An, 2015, Entanglement of North Pacific right whale (Eubalaena japonica) off Korean waters., SC/66a/HIM/15., Report to the International Whaling Commission Scientific Committee Annual Meeting, San Diego, California.
- Ochu. 2015. ＜1만년고래나라＞ 41년만에 나타난 긴수염고래 밤사이 밀렵꾼들이 접근했을 가능성. Daum. Retrieved on October 6, 2017
- TheBusanilbo 'Btube' (2015). "세계 희귀종`긴수염고래' 위험에서 가까스로 탈출". p. YouTube. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- 경북일보. "동해안 탐사취재- 5. 이방인을 불러들인 '고래'".
- "[주요 뉴스] KBS뉴스9 경남 – 탈진 위기 긴수염고래". YouTube.com. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "우리 바다에 이렇게 큰 고래가 많이! / YTN". Youtube.com. YTN NEWS. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- "Marine Life – On the whales". Exposea.com. p. 23. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hallyeo National Marine Park.|
|This South Korea-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|