Halton District School Board
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Halton District School Board|
|J.W. Singleton Education Centre
2050 Guelph Line
New Street Education Centre
3250 New Street
Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville
|Chair of the board||Kelly Amos|
|Director of education||Stuart Miller|
|Schools||102; 84 elementary, 18 secondary|
|Students and staff|
|Elected trustees||Kelly Amos
Ann Harvey Hope
|Student trustees||Sophie Schneider
The Halton District School Board serves public school students throughout Halton Region, including the municipalities of Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. Its administration area is to the southwest of the city of Toronto. In 2006-2007, it served almost 50,000 students, excluding those in adult, alternative, and Community Education programs.
Education in the former Halton County was previously governed by a framework of boards for various high school districts and public school districts associated with them. In 1967, as a result of initiatives undertaken by then Minister of Education Bill Davis, work was begun to amalgamate all boards on a county-wide level throughout the Province, and such a move was recommended to the Halton County Council that year for its approval. The move was opposed by the southern boards of education in Burlington and Oakville, but that was overruled upon passage of mandatory legislation by the Legislative Assembly of Ontario in 1968.
The Board was constituted as the Halton County Board of Education, which was established on January 1, 1969. When the County was replaced by the Regional Municipality of Halton, the Board became the Halton Board of Education.
As part of the province-wide restructuring of Ontario's school boards as a consequence of the passage of the Fewer School Boards Act, 1997, the English-language Public District School Board No. 20 was created to take over the Region's schools. It was merged with the former Board at the beginning of 1998, and was renamed as the "Halton District School Board" in 1999.
The Board operates 76 elementary schools, and 17 secondary schools, which are organized into the following areas:
- East Area (Oakville)
- North Area (Halton Hills and Milton)
- West Area (Burlington)
Secondary school enrollment and Fraser Institute provincial rankings are as follows:
|Name||Area||Enrollment||1-year ranking of 749||5-year ranking of 693|
|Abbey Park High School||East||1156||7||12|
|Garth Webb Secondary School||East||393||72||–|
|Iroquois Ridge High School||East||1258||22||17|
|Oakville Trafalgar High School||East||1291||9||8|
|T. A. Blakelock High School||East||1142||72||48|
|White Oaks Secondary School||East||2021||47||57|
|Acton District High School||North||529||406||275|
|Craig Kielburger Secondary School||North||1247||181||–|
|Georgetown District High School||North||1769||119||124|
|Milton District High School||North||1076||119||156|
|Aldershot High School||West||527||66||156|
|Burlington Central High School||West||689||344||176|
|Dr. Frank J. Hayden Secondary School||West||n/a||163||–|
|Lester B. Pearson High School||West||654||37||96|
|M.M. Robinson High School||West||1016||437||401|
|Nelson High School||West||1010||72||40|
|Robert Bateman High School||West||790||306||322|
The Board also operates the following specialized facilities:
The Pathways programme encourages all post-secondary options, from apprenticeship, to college, to university, to the workplace. The Board has also introduced specialist high skills majors and other unique programs for students, including fully online high school credits.
The International Baccalaureate programme is offered at:
|2014-2016||Sophie Schneider (Abbey Park High School)
Jovan Sahi (Iroquois Ridge High School)
|2013-2014||Allison Zheng (Craig Kielburger Secondary School)
Zoha Khan (Iroquois Ridge High School)
|2012-2013||Shaan Bhambra (Robert Bateman High School)
Arjun Dhanjal (Iroquois Ridge High School)
|2011-2012||Jason Earl (Milton District High School)
Rudy Unni (Robert Bateman High School)
|2010-2011||Jason Earl (Milton District High School)
Haniya Khan (Iroquois Ridge High School)
|2009-2010||Laura McVey (Abbey Park High School)
Chaitanya Dogra (Iroquois Ridge High School)
|2008-2009||Laura McVey (Abbey Park High School)
Nupur Dogra (Iroquois Ridge High School)
|2007-2008||Jason Karmody (Aldershot High School)
Jonathan Yantzi (Burlington Central High School)
|2006-2007||Russell Baker (Abbey Park High School)
Simon Beck (Iroquois Ridge High School)
|2005-2006||Amreen Azam (Iroquois Ridge High School)|
- Halton Catholic District School Board
- Ontario Student Trustees' Association
- List of school districts in Ontario
- List of high schools in Ontario
- McCoy, John. "2014/2015 OPERATING & CAPITAL BUDGET JUNE 2014" (PDF). Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Halton District School Board
- as provided under The Secondary Schools and Boards of Education Act, R.S.O. 1960, c. 362
- "Study single board of education". The Canadian Champion. Milton. May 3, 1967. p. 1.
- "A direction for education". The Canadian Champion. Milton. November 22, 1967. p. C1.
- The Secondary Schools and Boards of Education Act, R.S.O. 1960, c. 362, Part VI , as inserted by The Secondary Schools and Boards of Education Amendment Act, 1968, S.O. 1968, c. 122, s. 8
- "Oakville headquarters for County Board of Education". The Canadian Champion. Milton. January 15, 1969. p. 1.
- The Regional Municipality of Halton Act, 1973, S.O. 1973, c. 70, s. 139
- Fewer School Boards Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 3
- Transition from Old Boards to District School Boards, O. Reg. 460/97
- Establishment, Areas of Jurisdiction, and Names of District School Boards, O. Reg. 185/97
- "Report Card on Ontario's Secondary Schools 2015" (PDF). Fraser Institute. April 2015. Retrieved 2016-01-01.
- Welcome to Pathways
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Program
- Student Trustees, O. Reg. 7/07