Grethe and Halvard Kausland (1966).
(Photo: Rigmor Dahl Delphin / Oslo Museum)
|Birth name||Halvard Magne Kausland|
|Born||25 April 1945|
Sund, Sotra, Norway
|Died||21 December 2017 (aged 72)|
|Occupation(s)||Musician and composer|
Halvard Magne Kausland (25 April 1945 – 21 December 2017) was a Norwegian jazz guitarist and civil servant.
He hails from Sund. He has his education from the Norges kommunal- og sosialhøgskole, Agder Regional College and the University of Bergen. On 20 September 1996 it was announced that Kausland had been appointed as acting director of the Arts Council Norway from 1 November 1996 to 31 March 2000; however, Kausland withdrew three days before actually assuming the post. He was later chief administrative officer (fylkesrådmann) of Vestfold County Municipality.
Kausland is also a well-known jazz guitarist, having played in the band of Ole Paus among other things. From 1997 to 2001 he was the chairman of Norsk jazzforum. From 2009 he is the chairman of Norsk musikkråd.
From 1966 to 1979 he was married to Grethe Kausland. She did not revert to her maiden name Nilsen after the end of the marriage, but kept the name Kausland. Halvard Kausland later married artist Helle Brunvoll, with whom he also released the jazz albums In Our House (2009), Your Song (2012) and Latitude (2015).
Kausland died of cancer in Oslo on 21 December 2017 at the age of 72.
Discography (in selection)
Within Kausland/Mathisen Quartet
- 2002: Good Bait (Hot Club)
With Helle Brunvoll
- 2009: In Our (Naxos)
- 2012: Your Song (Naxos)
- 2015: Latitude (Naxos)
With Øystein Sunde
- 1974: Ikke Bare Tyll (Philips)
With Ole Paus
- 1976: I Anstendighetens Navn (Sonet)
- Kalgraf, Marit (23 June 2009). "Kunst for fred i den tredje verda". VestNytt (in Norwegian). p. 10.
- "Halvard Kausland ny direktør i Kulturrådet" (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. 20 September 1996.
- "Kausland trekker seg som kulturrådsdirektør" (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. 29 October 1996.
- "Ole Paus turnerer med eget band" (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. 11 September 2009.
- Skancke-Knutsen, Arvid (9 May 2001). "Ny styreleder i Norsk jazzforum". Ballade.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- Larsen, Svend Erik Løken. "Grethe, "Lille Grethe" Kausland". In Helle, Knut. Norsk biografisk leksikon (in Norwegian). Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- "Jazzdebut med stil". Dagsavisen (in Norwegian). 24 January 2009. p. 43.
- Halvard Magne Kausland (in Norwegian)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Halvard Kausland.|
|This article about a Norwegian musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a jazz guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|