Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi|
|Ruler of Fujairah|
|Born||22 February 1949|
Her Highness Sheikha Fatima bint Thani bin Saeed Al Maktoum
|Father||Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad Al Sharqi|
|Mother||Sheikha Fatima bint Rashid Al Nuaimi|
Ruler of Fujairah
|Reference style||His Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Highness|
Hamad Al Sharqi was born in 1949, the son of Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad Al Sharqi, former ruler of the Emirate of Fujairah, one of the principalities which make up the United Arab Emirates. His mother, Sheikha Fatima bint Rashid Al Nuaimi, was a princess of the neighbouring Emirate of Ajman; she was the sister of the present ruler of Ajman, Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi.
Hamad Mohammed Al Sharqi studied Arabic at Eastbourne School of English in East Sussex, United Kingdom, from 1969 to 1970. He attended the Mons Military Academy in 1970. From 1971 to 1974, he served as Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries of the UAE.
In 1974, Sheikh Hamad's father died and Sheikh Hamad succeeded him to the throne of Fujairah. He has handled the administration of his principality single-handedly since then and also taken on the responsibility of representing the UAE at international and diplomatic engagements. Sheikh Hamad is known to be an eloquent speaker, fluent with both English and Arabic; his education in a British school has proven to be an advantage when dealing with foreign dignitaries and some of the world leaders. For these reasons, and also because his family has good relationships with the ruling families of Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Ajman, Sheikh Hamad has represented the president of the United Arab Emirates the most in international seminars and conferences. This was particularly so during the reign of the late Sheikh Zayed Al Nahyan (ruler of Abu Dhabi), and also of the president of UAE, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
The Sharqi family have good relations with the Al Nahyan family, which rules Abu Dhabi, a relationship affirmed through marriage alliances. They also have similar relations with the Dubai ruling family. These are very old relations, rooted in history and forged over hundreds of years, dating back to the time when they were all part of the Al Hinawi tribal alliance, ranged against the Al Ghuwafir alliance. The family's relationship with Ajman is evident in the fact that the Sheikh's mother was a sister of the ruler of Ajman. Sheikh Hamad was bereaved by the death of his mother in 2014.
- Sara bint Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi (1985) Graduate of the American University of Sharjah.
- Mohammed bin Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi (born 1986), Crown Prince of Fujairah.
- Rashid bin Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi (1987), head of media department of Fujairah. PhD in economics from London .
- Shamsa bint Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi (1988), a graduate of Zayed University, Dubai. Head of various charities in Fujairah.
- Madiyah bint Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi (1989), fashion designer.
- Maktoum bin Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi (1991), a graduate of Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.
|Ancestors of Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi|
- "His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi". United Arab Emirates. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "Nation offers prayers for rain". Khaleej Times. 25 December 2010. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- "Gen. Mohamed mourns Sheikha Fatima". Emirates 24/7. 2014-12-17. Retrieved 2021-08-04.
- "Ajman Ruler's sister Shaikha Fatima dies". Gulf News. 2014-12-14. Retrieved 2014-12-28.