Hamid Ali Khan
Hamid Ali Khan
|Genres||Ghazal singing, Pakistani classical music|
|Occupation(s)||Classical music vocalist, Pakistan Television performer|
Ustad Hamid Ali Khan (Urdu: استاد حامِد علی خان; born 1953) is a Pakistani classical singer. He belongs to the Patiala gharana. Being a representative of the Patiala gharana, Hamid Ali Khan is an exponent of ghazal and classical singing. He has released several records and performed with other famous Indian artists. He has also collaborated with many UK-based artists, some of the recent ones being Partha Sarathi Mukherjee (tabla) and Fida Hussain (harmonium).
Early life and career
He is the son of Ustad Akhtar Hussein Khan and the youngest brother of famous Pakistani classical singers Bade Fateh Ali Khan and Amanat Ali Khan. Hamid Ali Khan has three sons – Nayab Ali Khan, Wali Hamid Ali Khan and Inam Ali Khan are currently following in his footsteps and have created their own band called RagaBoyz. One of his sons, Wali Hamid Ali Khan, apart from singing, has stepped into acting from his first serial Kaisi Aurat Hoon Main.
"Since most of the newer singers like Shafqat Amanat Ali have moved away from classical Patiala style singing, this leaves Amanat's only brother Hamid Ali Khan, as the last of the Patiala legends."
"He inherits the unrestrained style of singing from his father, the late Ustad Akhtar Hussain Khan and shares the flair with his brothers, Bade Fateh Ali Khan and Amanat Ali Khan. An authentic moving portrait of the Patiala gharana. Hamid Ali Khan creates his own world. A world set mostly within the comfort of his unfaltering sense of raags and rhythm, immaculate melodies and unparalleled control over his voice."
In 2016, the two brothers Hamid Ali Khan and Fateh Ali Khan performed together on stage in a live concert.
- Hamid Ali Khan joined his brother, Amanat Ali Khan, by also winning the Pride of Performance Award in 2007.
- In 2010, the Government of Pakistan presented him with the Sitara-i-Imtiaz Award.
- Hamid Ali Khan was presented several awards for lifetime achievement in the field of classical music in his tour of India in 2007.
He is one of the few Pakistani artists that has won the Presidential Award more than once.
- Profile of Hamid Ali Khan on cokestudio.com.pk website, Retrieved 24 April 2017
- M. R. Kazimi (2007). Pakistani Studies. Oxford University Press. p. 251. ISBN 0195472292.
- Ruman Ganguly (6 August 2013). "Raga Boyz set to rock Kolkata". Times of India newspaper., Retrieved 24 April 2017
- Hamid Ali Khan on travel-culture.com website, Retrieved 24 April 2017
- Hamid Ali Khan, Fateh Ali Khan to take the stage in Karachi, The Express Tribune newspaper, Published 21 April 2016, Retrieved 24 April 2017
- Akhtar Ali Akhtar (2 August 2019). "'حامد علی خان خیریت سے ہیں'". Daily Jang. Retrieved 6 August 2019.