Hamilton GO Centre
|Location||36 Hunter Street East
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Tracks||2 + 1 bypass|
|Bus operators|| GO Transit
Hamilton Street Railway
|Parking||54 reserved parking spots|
|Bicycle facilities||bicycle rack|
|Station code||GO Transit: HMGO|
|Previous names||TH&B Railway Station|
|Official name||Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway Station|
Hamilton GO Centre is a GO Transit train and bus station located at Hunter Street East and Hughson Street South in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Unlike other GO Stations, which usually just connect with local public transit buses, the Centre doubles as a regional bus terminal for private intercity coach carriers including Greyhound Canada and Coach Canada.
Hamilton GO Centre is the only example of Art Deco railway station architecture in Canada. It opened in 1933 as the head office and the Hamilton station of the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway. Passenger service on the TH&B was discontinued on April 26, 1981, and the TH&B merged into the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1987, leaving the facility completely disused.
In the early 1990s, GO Transit provided service out of two different facilities in Hamilton: trains were routed along the CN Grimsby subdivision to the Hamilton CNR Station 1.6 km to the north, and buses operated out of an older bus station at on the northern edge of Hamilton's Central Business District at John Street North and Rebecca Street. In order to better connect GO Transit service to Hamilton's CBD, improve the interface with the Hamilton Street Railway, and consolidate train and bus services at a single site, renovations were undertaken to convert the TH&B station into the Hamilton GO Centre. The new facility, designed by Garwood-Jones & Hanham Architects, opened on April 30, 1996.
Hamilton Street Railway
Although numerous Hamilton Street Railway (HSR) routes stop immediately adjacent to the Hamilton GO Centre, until 2009 only Route 51 - University actually made use of the station proper as a stop. On June 28, 2009, a realignment of downtown bus routing saw new platforms inside the GO Centre property become the downtown terminus points for three busy lower city routes: Route 1 - King, Route 2 - Barton and Route 3 - Cannon.
The GO station is the western terminus of Lakeshore West trains and bus routes 16, 18 and 47. Via Rail trains do not serve Hamilton, but interchange with the GO line at Aldershot Station in neighbouring Burlington.
Bus platform assignments
- 1: GO Bus arrivals
- 2: GO Bus arrivals
- 3: GO Bus arrivals
- 4: GO Bus arrivals
- 5: GO Bus arrivals
- 6: GO Bus 40, Hamilton/Richmond Hill Pearson Express to Richmond Hill Centre Terminal, via Oakville Carpool Lot, Square One Bus Terminal and Toronto Pearson International Airport
- 7: GO Bus 47, 407 to York University, via Burlington Carpool Lot, Bronte Carpool Lot, Oakville Carpool Lot, Erin Mills GO Station, Square One Bus Terminal, Bramalea GO Station, York University; on weekends, 47G service (same as 47, but continues past York University to Yorkdale Bus Terminal
- 8: GO Bus 16, QEW express to Toronto Union Station Bus Terminal
- 9: GO Bus 18, connector to GO Train (via Aldershot and Burlington) to Union Station (Toronto)
- 10: GO Bus 47 - Hwy 407 West, via Square One and Bramalea GO Station to York University
- 11: Greyhound Canada - Toronto, London, Windsor
- 12: Coach Canada - Niagara Falls
- 13: Coach Canada - Cambridge, Kitchener
- 14: Casino Coach - Fallsview Casino, Casino Niagara
- 15: Unloading and layover
- 16: Unloading and layover
- 17: Hamilton Street Railway - Route 3 Cannon and Route 51 University
- 18: Hamilton Street Railway - Route 1 King and Route 2 Barton
- Garwood-Jones & Hanham •GO Transit Station Renovation
- 40 Hamilton/Richmond Hill GO Bus Schedule
- 407 West GO Bus Schedule
- 16 Hamilton/Toronto Express GO Bus Schedule
- 18 Lakeshore West GO Bus Schedule
- "3 CANNON" (PDF). Bus Schedules. Hamilton Street Railway. 6 September 2015. Retrieved November 2015.
Bus stop numbers: Hamilton GO Centre Platform 17
- "51 UNIVERSITY" (PDF). Bus Schedules. Hamilton Street Railway. 6 September 2015. Retrieved November 2015.
Bus stop numbers: Hamilton Station Platform 17
- "1 KING" (PDF). Bus Schedules. Hamilton Street Railway. 28 June 2015. Retrieved November 2015.
Bus stop numbers: Go Centre Platform 18
- "2 BARTON" (PDF). Bus Schedules. Hamilton Street Railway. 28 June 2015. Retrieved November 2015.
Bus stop numbers: GO Centre Platform 18
Media related to Hamilton GO Centre at Wikimedia Commons