Hamilton Technical College
|Motto||"To educate for a rewarding career"|
|Location||Davenport, Iowa, United States
Hamilton Technical College is a technical college located in Davenport, IA offering programs in Electronics engineering technology, Medical Assisting and Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist. The Electronics Engineering Technology program offers Associates and Bachelor Degrees. Both Medical Assisting and Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist are certificate programs.
Hamilton Technical College was founded in 1969 by Charles and Maryanne Hamilton as the Academy of Radio and Television (A.R.T.) in Bettendorf, IA. The first classes were held for six students around the dinner table of the Hamiltons and the first curriculum was focused on passing the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) exam. Curriculum was then expanded to prepare students to become broadcasters. The first formal classes began in 1970 at 1120 State Street in Bettendorf, IA. To accommodate a growing number of students, classes were moved to a larger building on State Street.
In 1978 an Electronics program was added and A.R.T acquired recognition as a Technical College specializing in Electronics Engineering Technology. The school was then renamed A.R.T. Technical College. The Electronics Engineering program offered was for an Associates degree attainable in just 18 months. In 1980 the name was changed to Hamilton Technical College.
From 1980-1991 there were many changes. An Aviation Maintenance Technology program was added, with classes being held at the Davenport Municipal Airport in Mt. Joy, IA. The Hamilton Institute of Business, a branch of Hamilton Tech began offering an Associate of Occupational Technology degree in Computer Information Systems. In 1990, Hamilton began the Computer-Aided Drafting program offering an Associate of Occupational Studies in 19 months. In 1991, Hamilton Technical College moved all classes to their current location at 10111 53rd St, Davenport, IA. This year the Aerotech program also ended. Also in 1991, the Medical Assisting Technology program began which earned students a diploma in just 9 months.
In the summer of 2006 Hamilton Technical College began construction and remodeling of the current buildings. The building at the East end has been renovated to house the Advanced Electronics Center. Many equipment improvements have been made in this area. Some of the equipment that was added include: CNC Lathe, Mill, Industrial Robotics, Oscilloscopes, and computer testing equipment. The West end of the building currently houses the Medical Assisting program as well as the Development Center.
Currently, Hamilton Technical College offers an Associate and Bachelor of Science Degrees in Electronics Engineering Technology, a diploma in Medical Assisting Technology and a diploma in Medical Insurance Coding and Billing.
Students and faculty
Hamilton Technical College has approximately 300 students. There are approximately 25 full-time staff and 5 part-time staff.
Hamilton is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
The Electronics Engineering Technology program offers either an Associates or a Bachelor's degree program. Medical Assisting is a seven-month diploma program and Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist Program is also a seven-month diploma program. Both day and night programs are offered.
- Better Business Bureau, Davenport
- National Student Employment Association
- Association on Higher Education and Disabilities
- Iowa Association of Life-Long Learning
- Iowa Quad City Chamber of Commerce, Davenport, Iowa
- United States Chamber of Commerce, Washington D.C.
- Bettendorf Chamber of Commerce, Bettendorf, Iowa
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators
- National Association of Colleges and Employers
- Great River Human Resource Association
- National Center for Competency Testing
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers
- Quad City Computer Society
- Electronics Technicians Association International, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
- Robotics International of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Davenport/Rock Island Chapter
- American Association of Medical Assistants
- Multi-Skilled Medical Professional’s Association
- "Hamilton Tech College History". Hamilton Technical College. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- U.S. Department of Education (2010). "College Navigator". Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- ACCSC Directory, 2010, retrieved 2011-10-26