Hamilton Township, Franklin County, Pennsylvania
Pre-Civil War Bridge between Guilford and Hamilton Townships
Map of Franklin County, Pennsylvania highlighting Hamilton Township
Map of Franklin County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||35.54 sq mi (92.05 km2)|
|• Land||35.54 sq mi (92.05 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||313.87/sq mi (121.19/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Hamilton Township is in central Franklin County and is bordered to the northeast by the borough of Chambersburg, the county seat. South of Chambersburg, Conococheague Creek forms the eastern boundary of the township. Back Creek, a tributary of Conococheague, forms the southwestern boundary. The township extends northwest as far as the crest of Broad Mountain, the easternmost ridge in the Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians in this part of the state.
- Antrim Township (south)
- Greene Township (northeast)
- Guilford Township (southeast)
- Letterkenny Township (north)
- St. Thomas Township (west)
- Hamilton Heights
- Kensington Heights
- Pleasant View
- Sandy hook
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,949 people, 3,476 households, and 2,648 families residing in the township. The population density was 250.8 people per square mile (96.8/km²). There were 3,612 housing units at an average density of 101.2/sq mi (39.1/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 94.97% White, 2.57% African American, 0.11% Native American, 0.74% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.50% from other races, and 1.03% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.42% of the population.
There were 3,476 households, out of which 33.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.8% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.8% were non-families. 18.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the township the population was spread out, with 25.3% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 29.0% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 13.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 95.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $43,153, and the median income for a family was $47,049. Males had a median income of $32,879 versus $25,082 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,122. About 4.9% of families and 6.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.3% of those under age 18 and 4.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001), Hamilton township, Franklin County, Pennsylvania". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved August 9, 2016.
- M'Cauley, I. H. (1878). Historical Sketch of Franklin County, Pennsylvania. Patriot. p. 189.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.