Hamilton railway station, New South Wales
Station looking east from Platform 2 in November 2007
|Location||Beaumont Street, Hamilton
|Operated by||NSW TrainLink|
|Distance||164.63 km (102.30 mi) from Central|
|Fare zone||MyZone 3|
On 5 January 2015, Hamilton became the interim terminus for NSW TrainLink's Central Coast & Newcastle and Hunter line services following the partial closure of the Newcastle line. It will fulfill this role until Wickham Transport Interchange opens in 2017.
In 2007, Platform 1 was extended eastwards to accommodate eight carriages and allow Beaumont Street level crossing to remain open while trains are at the station. In January 2015, Platform 2 was extended eastwards to accommodate eight carriages.
Platforms & services
Hamilton has two side platforms. It is serviced by NSW TrainLink Central Coast & Newcastle Line services to and from Sydney Central and Hunter railway line services to and from Maitland, Muswellbrook, Scone, Telarah and Dungog.
|2||services to Gosford & Sydney Central|||
|services to Maitland, Telarah, Dungog, Muswellbrook & Scone|||
Hamilton Junction Signal Box
Hamilton Junction Signal Box is separated from Hamilton station by Beaumont Street level crossing. The Victorian signal box was built in 1897 by McKenzie & Holland, making it one of the oldest surviving mechanical signal boxes in Australia, and also one of the busiest. Originally fitted with a McKenzie & Holland mechanical lever frame, it now has a 56 lever tappet frame designed by Cyril Byles, the British born New South Wales Government Railways signal engineer and manufactured in Sydney in the former NSWGR Interlocking Workshops. Formerly a much busier location, this signal box once had control of multiple lines, sidings and a short branch for the Vacuum Oil Company. After rationalisation in the 1980s and 1990s, the signal box now controls Hamilton Junction, Beaumont Street level crossing and entry to and exit from sidings used for storing track maintenance vehicles.
Newcastle Buses operate two routes to and from Hamilton station:
- 110: to Newcastle station, this replaces the railway service and train fares apply if transferring to or from a train
- 201: to Newcastle West
- Wickham Transport Interchange Transport for NSW July 2014
- Revitalisation of Newcastle CBD continues as Wickham interchange gets the green light Transport for NSW 14 November 2014
- Tender awarded to design and construct new Wickham interchange Transport for NSW 18 December 2014
- Revitalising Newcastle: Hamilton Station re-opens today Transport for NSW 5 January 2015
- Hamilton Station NSWrail.net
- Hamilton Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- Newcastle Rail Corridor Upgrade Projects NSW Premier's Office
- "Central Coast & Newcastle line timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 5 January 2015.
- "Hunter line timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 18 April 2015.
- Transport changes in Newcastle from 26 December Transport NSW Info 22 December 2014
- "Route 201 timetable" (PDF). Newcastle Buses. 30 November 2008 [Reprinted October 2010].
- Media related to Hamilton railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Hamilton station details Sydney Trains