This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||8 October 1949|
|Genres||Jazz, R&B, funk, pop, soul|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, composer, record producer|
|Instruments||Guitar, bass, vocals|
|Associated acts||Average White Band, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, The 360 Band|
Stuart attended Wellington College, where he joined Tony Wade and Mark Waters in 1963 to form a "college" band. At the time he played drums.
Stuart joined Paul McCartney’s band (where he switched between guitar and bass as necessary with McCartney) for McCartney's 1989 comeback album, Flowers in the Dirt, and appearing on several other albums and McCartney's world tours of 1989 and 1993.
After collaborating on numerous albums for other artists, he recorded his first solo album, Sooner or Later, in 1999, 17 years after leaving the Average White Band, which he released on his own record label, Sulphuric Records.
Apart from playing with his own group, the Hamish Stuart Band, and with his fellow Glaswegian guitarist and friend Jim Mullen, Stuart has also produced Gordon Haskell and the Swedish singer-songwriter Meja.
In 2007, he produced and appeared as a guest vocalist on the album All About the Music, by The AllStars collective.
In July 2015, Stuart reunited with his AWB bandmates Malcolm ‘Molly’ Duncan and Steve Ferrone to form The 360 Band. This is in essence one half of the original Average White Band. They released an album titled "Three Sixty" in 2017 and have been performing live together along with supporting musicians.
With Average White Band
- 1973 Show Your Hand (re-issued in 1975 as Put It Where You Want It)
- 1974 AWB
- 1975 Cut the Cake
- 1976 Soul Searching
- 1976 Person to Person (live)
- 1977 AWB/Live at Montreux
- 1977 Benny & Us
- 1978 Warmer Communications
- 1979 Feel no Fret
- 1979 Shine
- 1982 Cupids in Fashion
With Chaka Khan
- Chaka (1978)
- Naughty (1980)
- What Cha' Gonna Do for Me (1981)
- Chaka Khan (1982)
- I Feel for You (1984)
With Paul McCartney
- Flowers in the Dirt (1989)
- Tripping the Live Fantastic (1990)
- Unplugged (1991)
- Off the Ground (1993)
- Paul is Live (1993)
- 1976 Up - Dick Morrissey & Jim Mullen
- 1977 The Atlantic Family Live at Montreux
- 1990 River of Love - David Foster
- 1999 Sooner or Later
- 2000 Jimjam - Jim Mullen
- 2001 Real Live
- 2017 Three Sixty - The 360 Band
- "Yamaha artists". Uk.yamaha.com. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- Sarah Rodman, "Ringo and pals deliver genial tour through hits". The Boston Globe. 26 June 2008. Retrieved 17 August 2011.