This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Business district of Hammanskraal
|Municipality||City of Tshwane|
|• Total||7.60 km2 (2.93 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,800/km2 (7,300/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||98.3%|
|First languages (2011)|
|• Northern Sotho||18.1%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
|Postal code (street)|
Hammanskraal is a small town in northern Gauteng, South Africa which serves a large community. It was named after Hamman, a cattleman who, to protect his livestock from predators, set up a stockade (a "kraal") here.
The town also serves as a shopping centre and taxi rank/train station for surrounding locations such as Kekana Gardens, Mandela Village, Ramotse, Marokolong, Kanana, Temba, Leboneng, Unit D, Maubane, Portion 9, Majaneng, Bosplaas, Makapanstad, Dilopye, Suurman, Lephengville, Sekampaneng and other nearby villages.
Majaneng in Hammanskraal is a rural village with a chief as its political head. It is also the site of schools such as Tipfuxeni Secondary school, Hammanskraal high school, Mphe Batho Primary School, Thabo Ya Batho Middle and Kgapamadi High School and many more.
The area also hosted a police training college which contributed to a large growth of black policemen in Apartheid South Africa during the late 1980s.
- Herman Mashaba - Executive Mayor of Johannesburg under the Democratic Alliance (2017). Founder of hair care brand "Black Like Me", comes from Ramotse
- Aubrey Ngoma - Mamelodi Sundowns player and ex-Cape Town City player comes from a small town called Ramotse.
- Thapelo Aphiri - Actor, plays character of Javas on the Etv drama series Scandal. Also appears on a lot of ads.
- DR Malinga - Entrepreneur, singer and actor, founder of Lingas Entertainment, SAMA Winner and entertainer.
- "Main Place Hammanskraal". Census 2011.
|This Gauteng location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|