|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Business district of Hammanskraal
|Municipality||City of Tshwane|
|• Total||7.60 km2 (2.93 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,800/km2 (7,300/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||98.3%|
|First languages (2011)|
|• Northern Sotho||18.1%|
|Postal code (street)||0400|
Hammanskraal is a small town in northern Gauteng, South Africa which serves a large community. It was named after Hamman, a cattleman who, to protect his livestock from predators, set up a stockade here.
The town also serves as a shopping centre and taxi rank/train station for surrounding locations such as Kekana Gardens, Mandela Village, Ramotse, Marokolong, Kanana, Temba, Leboneng, Unit D, Maubane, Portion 9, Majaneng, Bosplaas, Makapanstad, Dilopye, Suurman, Lephengville, Sekampaneng and other nearby villages.
Majaneng in Hammanskraal is a rural village with a chief as its political head. It is also the site of schools such as Tipfuxeni Secondary school, Hammanskraal high school, Mphe Batho Primary School, Thabo Ya Batho Middle and Kgapamadi High School and many more.
The area also hosted a police training college which contributed to a large growth of black policemen in Apartheid South Africa during the late 1980s.
- Herman Mashaba - Executive Mayor of Johannesburg under the Democratic Alliance (2017). Founder of hair care brand "Black Like Me".
- Saul Molapo (Footballer)
- Dimakatso Rebombo (DJ)
- Aubrey Lekoane (Footballer)
- Justice Malala (ENCA)
- George Maupe Matjila (Politician)
- Doctor Malinga (Musician)
- Thapelo Aphiri (Actor)
- Retlametswe Motlhaoleng (aspiring doctor)
- Tshepo Motshegoa (Bantu soul) (Musician/Actor)
- Bongani Madondo (Author, Journalist, Social Commentator
- Jacob Malome Makou (Makhongela) (Politician)
- Aubrey Ngoma (Footballer)
- Thomas Hlongwane (Footballer)
- Martin mouba Seema (Metro police)
- Kgomotso Kekana(KG) (Aspiring IT Engineer)
- Saul Kgomotso Molobi (Former South African Consul-General in Milan and now Group Executive: Trade, Investment & Regulations (Gauteng Growth and Development Agency)
- Stephen Kete Ralekwa (Attorney, Priest and Director: Corporate Law at National Treasury)
- Robert Sekwele (Business Owner, Social Entrepreneur, Politician, IT Trainer, Project Management Practitioner)
- "Main Place Hammanskraal". Census 2011.
|This Gauteng location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|