Hammarforsens powerplant in Indalsälven near Hammarstrand
|• Total||2.22 km2 (0.86 sq mi)|
|Population (31 December 2010)|
|• Density||473/km2 (1,230/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Hammarstrand is a locality and the seat of Ragunda Municipality in Jämtland County, Sweden with 1,052 inhabitants in 2010. The town is host to a bobsleigh and luge track. It was built on the dry bed of the former lake Ragundasjön, which drained suddenly catastrophically in 1796.
Bobsleigh and luge track
Constructed in 1964, the track was 1045 meters long with 11 curves and a start height of 900 meters. Its last World Cup luge competition was held in 1990. Until the completion of the bobsleigh and luge track used for the 1994 Winter Olympics at Lillehammer in 1992, it was the only track of its kind in Scandinavia. The track was the last natural track to host the FIL European Luge Championships and was the last natural track to host the FIL World Luge Championships until the 2000 event in St. Moritz, Switzerland. Its last use was in 2001.
|Turn Number||Name||Reason named (in Swedish)|
|1.||Lillen||"The little one"|
|2.||Sista skriket||"Last scream"|
|4.||Ole||"Eeny" in Swedish. Luge women's singles men's doubles joins the track after this curve.|
|5.||Dole||"Meeny" in Swedish|
|6.||Doff||"Miney" & "Moe" in Swedish|
|8.||Sunekurvan||Named after Sune Nilsson, a former chairman of the local luge club.|
- FIL European Luge Championships: 1970, 1976, 1978, 1986
- FIL World Luge Championships: 1967, 1975, 1981
The large Hollywood Sign-style sign outside of Hammarstrand.
- "Tätorternas landareal, folkmängd och invånare per km2 2005 och 2010" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 14 December 2011. Archived from the original on 10 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Luge at Hammarstrand. (in Swedish) - accessed March 5, 2008
- Hammarstrand track map. (in Swedish) - accessed March 5, 2008
- 1994 Winter Olympics official report - Volume 3. - accessed February 19, 2008
- Hammarstrand track last usage Archived 2012-02-10 at the Wayback Machine. (in Swedish) - accessed March 5, 2008
- FIL European Luge Championships men's singles results since 1914 Archived 2006-11-15 at the Wayback Machine.
- FIL World Luge Championships men's single results since 1955 Archived 2007-12-18 at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hammarstrand.|