|89 Western Avenue
Hampden, Maine 04444
|School district||Regional School Unit #22 (R.S.U. 22)|
|Color(s)||Purple and white|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
Hampden Academy is a public high school located at 89 Western Avenue in Hampden, Maine, United States. The school is a part of Regional School Unit #22 (R.S.U. 22), with approximately 708 students from Hampden, Newburgh, Frankfort and Winterport attending grades 9–12. It has been accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
The school mascot is the Bronco.
Hampden Academy was founded in 1803 as a private school and before that was a theological seminary. It became a member of MSAD 22 in 1969 (changed to R.S.U. in 2013). It still serves as a public school that educates students from Hampden, Winterport, Frankfort, and Newburgh. The original Hampden Academy building, located across US 1A and now part of the McGraw School, is on the National Register of Historic Places. A new $51.6 million building, located behind the FieldTurf complex, was completed in 2012.
- Mike Bordick, baseball player
- Hiram Batchelder, Civil War soldier and Mayor of Chico, CA
- Ricky Craven, NASCAR driver, ESPN correspondent
- Matthew Gagnon, think tank executive, writer and radio host
- Forrest Hart, bronze sculptor
- Stephen King, author (King was an English teacher at Hampden Academy)
- Frederick Low, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives in California and later governor of California
- Tanya Ryno (1988), producer, director
- Jim Spohrer (1974), computer programmer
- Charles Stetson, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Maine's 6th district
- Michael Thibodeau (1984), State Senate President