Hampshire County Council
|Hampshire County Council|
Coat of arms
45 / 78
17 / 78
10 / 78
4 / 78
1 / 78
1 / 78
|First past the post|
|2 May 2013|
|Elizabeth II Court, Winchester|
Hampshire County Council (HCC) is the county council that governs the majority of the county of Hampshire in England. It provides the upper tier of local government, below which are district councils, and town and parish councils. The county council has 78 elected councillors, and is based in the county town of Winchester.
Hampshire County Council is currently controlled by the Conservative Party.
The council is responsible for public services  such as:
- Highway management
- Waste disposal
- Children's services (including supporting schools, families and young people)
- Social care
- Discovery Centres
- Arts provision
- Country parks
- Public Health,
District and borough councils that govern within Hampshire include:
- Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council
- East Hampshire District Council
- Eastleigh Borough Council
- Fareham Borough Council
- Gosport Borough Council
- Hart District Council
- Havant Borough Council
- New Forest District Council
- Rushmoor Borough Council
- Test Valley Borough Council
- Winchester City Council
The most recent Hampshire County Council elections were held on 2 May 2013.
At the 2013 local elections for Hampshire County Council, the Conservative Party had a 37.51% share of the votes, the Liberal Democrats had 21.71%, the UK Independence Party had 24.61% and Labour 10%. As a result, 45 Conservatives, 17 Liberal Democrats, 10 UKIP, four Labour and one Community Campaign councillor sit on the County Council.
- Henry Paulet, 16th Marquess of Winchester, Chairman 1904–1909
- James Harris, 5th Earl of Malmesbury, Chairman 1927–1937
- Sir John Crowder, member 1931–1946
- Horace King, Baron Maybray-King, member 1946–1965
- John Denham, member 1981 to 1989, later a member of parliament
- Mike Hancock, Leader 1989 to 1997, later a member of parliament
- Henry Herbert, 7th Earl of Carnarvon, Chairman
- Alexander Baring, 6th Baron Ashburton, member
- Roy Perry, Leader
- Percivall Pott, elected member, 1949, later member of parliament for Devizes in Wiltshire
- "2013 County Election". Hampshire County Council. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- "Hampshire County Council County Elections". hants.gov.uk.