South Hampshire (UK Parliament constituency)
|Former County constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||Two|
|Replaced by||New Forest|
Winchester (minor addition to)
South Hampshire (formally the Southern division of Hampshire) was a parliamentary constituency in the county of Hampshire, which returned two Members of Parliament (MPs) to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, elected by the bloc vote system.
1832-1885: The Petty Sessional Divisions of Fareham, Lymington, RIngwood, Romsey and Southampton, and the Town and County of the Town of Southampton.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 1850s
|Conservative||Henry Combe Compton||Unopposed|
|Whig gain from Conservative|
Elections in the 1860s
|Conservative||John Carpenter Garnier||2,716||24.7||N/A|
|Turnout||5,498 (est)||67.6 (est)||N/A|
Elections in the 1870s
|Turnout||6,542 (est)||68.3 (est)||+0.7|
Elections in the 1880s
|Conservative gain from Liberal|
Douglas-Scott-Montagu resigned, causing a by-election.
|Liberal||William Henry Deverell||2,772||39.7||N/A|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2017)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 1)
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 393. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
Notes and references
- Redistribution of Seats Act 1885 https://archive.org/stream/publicgeneralac01walegoog#page/n159/mode/2up/search/colchester at transcribed renumbered page 161 of 200
- "The statutes of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. 2 & 3 William IV. Cap. LXIV. An Act to settle and describe the Divisions of Counties, and the Limits of Cities and Boroughs, in England and Wales, in so far as respects the Election of Members to serve in Parliament". London: His Majesty's statute and law printers. 1832. pp. 300–383. Retrieved 2017-07-27.
- Craig does not distinguish between Whigs, Radical and Liberals. They are all labelled as Liberals
- "Hampshire Chronicle". 21 March 1857. p. 5. Retrieved 4 August 2018 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (help)).
- Craig, F. W. S., ed. (1977). British Parliamentary Election Results 1832-1885 (e-book)
|url=(help) (1st ed.). London: Macmillan Press. pp. 394–395. ISBN 978-1-349-02349-3.
- "Advertisements and Notices". Hampshire Telegraph. 18 November 1868. p. 1. Retrieved 15 February 2018 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (help)).
- "South Hants Election". Hampshire Advertiser. 4 February 1874. p. 4. Retrieved 31 December 2017 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (help)).
- "South Hampshire Election". Salisbury and Winchester Journal. 21 June 1884. p. 8. Retrieved 20 December 2017 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (help)).