Hampstead, North Carolina
Hampstead, North Carolina
|• Summer (DST)||EDT|
There are four elementary schools, North Topsail Elementary, South Topsail Elementary, Topsail Elementary, and Surf City Elementary. There are two middle schools named Topsail Middle School and Surf City Middle School and one high school, Topsail High School, which is located right next to Topsail Middle and within walking distance of the Hampstead Branch Library.
The area has three golf courses: Castle Bay, Olde Point Golf, and Iron Clad.
The Hampstead area is served by Pender EMS & Fire. Hampstead also has the Topsail Composite Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol. Hampstead is also served by the Pender County Sheriff’s Department.
Pender County is developing and expanding its county water system for the Hampstead area and is planning to add a sewer system in the future. The North Carolina Department of Transportation has proposed a bypass around Hampstead that ties into the new I-140 bypass around Wilmington to the south and west.
The Hampstead area has also upgraded Highway 17 to a four-lane road, to reduce traffic problems as the area grows larger.
Every year, the last weekend in September, Hampstead holds the North Carolina Spot Festival. With thousands in attendance and over 6,000 "Spot" dinner plates served annually, the festival is the largest fundraiser for Topsail schools and the community. There is also an annual scholarship pageant held in conjunction with the Festival, which crowns eight North Carolina girls to represent the Festival for the year. The 2016 title holders are Baby Miss Lillianna Hill, Mini Miss Cambri Lankas, Tiny Miss Bailey Smith, Little Miss Ava Harris, Mermaid Miss Josie Boyd, Young Miss Kaylee Jernigan, Teen Miss Chloe Castles and Miss Brooklynn Heltsley. The Relay For Life is a walkathon sponsored by local groups to raise money for the American Cancer Society. The Hampstead Expo is an event sponsored by the Greater Hampstead Chamber of Commerce that brings local businesses together with the people of the community, encouraging local people to support their local businesses.
- KNCHAMPS88 - Washington Acres #1 - site includes Washington Acres-Hughes, Deerfield and Hampstead Landing,Washington Acres RD, Hammock Watch and Whitebridge (was KNCHAMPS10) (Netatmo Site) one of two original sites weather station for Hampstead.
- KNCHAMPS32- Topsail Watch
- KNCHAMPS33- Moore's Landing
- KNCHAMPS29- Hampstead Landing
- KNCHAMPS39- Oyster Cathcher
- KNCHAMPS40- Salt Water Lane
- KNCHAMPS41- Dogwood
- KNCHAMPS44- Pelican Reef
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. pp. 148.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.