Hampton Court Park
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Site of Special Scientific Interest|
|Area of Search||Greater London|
|Location map||Magic Map|
Hampton Court Park, adjacent to Hampton Court Palace and Gardens in South London, England, is a royal park managed by the Historic Royal Palaces. In 2014, part of it was designated a biological Site of Special Scientific Interest together with Bushy Park and Hampton Court Golf Course.
It is a walled deer park of around 700 acres (280 ha), with a herd of fallow deer, and has been open to the public since 1894. The A308 road and the River Thames form its boundaries. North of the A308 is Bushy Park. The Royal Mews still graze some of their horses on the park in the summer.
The Long Water runs roughly eastward from the back of Hampton Court Palace and at the eastern end is the Golden Jubilee Fountain.
The annual Hampton Court Flower Show is held in 25 acres (10 ha) of the Home Park. It is organized by the Royal Horticultural Society and began in 1990. Many prefer it to the better known Chelsea Flower Show because there is more space, and plants and equipment can be bought at the show. As it is the world's most popular event of this type extensive traffic jams can build up. The show has sometimes been criticized for risking damage to historic features in the park.
The Mediaeval Oak
A tree, called the Mediaeval Oak (or Methuselah's Oak), in one of the tees for the golf course in the southern part of the park, is said to be 750 years old.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Home Park, Hampton Court.|
- Richmond Borough Council
- "Bushy Park and Home Park citation" (PDF). Sites of Special Scientific Interest. Natural England. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Map of Bushy Park and Home Park". Sites of Special Scientific Interest. Natural England. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Bushy Park and Home Park Unit List". Sites of Special Scientific Interest. Natural England. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "Home Park". Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- for Hampton Court Park
- Hampton Court Flower Show
- Friends of Bushy & Home Parks
- Photograph of the Jubilee Fountain
|This London location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|