Hamza Ali Abbasi
Hamza Ali Abbasi
حمزہ علی عباسی
|Born||23 June 1984|
|Alma mater||Quaid-i-Azam University|
University of Pennsylvania
|Known for||Pyaray Afzal|
Jawani Phir Nahi Ani
Parwaaz Hay Junoon
Hamza Ali Abbasi (Urdu/Punjabi: حمزہ علی عباسی; born 23 June 1984) is a Pakistani former film and television actor and director. He is known for his roles as Afzal in the drama serial Pyarey Afzal, and as Salahuddin in the drama serial Mann Mayal.
Abbasi began his acting career in 2006 in the play Dally in the Dark, which was produced by Shah Shahrahbeel. He made his film debut in a short film, The Glorious Resolve (2010), directed by Bilal Lashari. In 2013, he appeared in two feature films, Main Hoon Shahid Afridi and Waar, for which he received the Best Star Debut Male and Best Supporting Actor awards at the 1st ARY Film Awards.
Abbasi was born into a Punjabi family of civil servants to Major (Retd) Mazhar Ali Abbasi, an army officer, and Begum Nasim Akhtar Chaudhry, a politician affiliated with the Pakistan Peoples Party. His sister, Fazeela Abbasi, is a dermatologist.
He started his career in 2006 as a theatre actor and appeared in several plays such as Bombay Dreams, Phantom of the Opera, and Home is Where Your Clothes Are. He made his directorial debut with the feature film Mud House and the Golden Doll, which he describes as a simple story about simple people. He considers his breakthrough to be the movie Waar (2013) : he was initially an assistant director to Bilal Lashari, before the later offered him a role in the movie, that he considers important for his future career. He voiced Baba Bandook, the main antagonist, and Vadero Pajero in the Unicorn Black produced animated series, Burka Avenger.
Being a supporter of the political party Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, of which he was elected the cultural secretary in January 2018 before quitting the function in April of the same year because he didn't feel "to represent Pakistan’s culture" through his movies, it has led Abbasi to release controversial statements and accusation over twitter and BOL Network.
In 2018 he exposed journalist and former wife of Imran Khan, Reham Khan, by revealing the manuscript of the book beforehand. She also claimed to have been threatened directly by Humza Ali Abbasi via emails. When Abbasi denied the claim, Khan further stated that it was gimmick of Reham Khan's to malign him because of his closeness to Imran Khan.
|2006||Dally in the Dark||Shah Shahrahbeel|
|Home is Where Your Clothes Are|
|The Addams Family|
|2008||Phantom of the Opera|
|2009||Tom, Dick and Harry|
|2010||Moulin Rouge||Ghazala Siddiqui|
|Film are currently on Cinema|
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2011||The Glorious Resolve||Tariq||Documentary film|
|Mudhouse And The Golden Doll||Malang||Yes||Directorial debut|
|2013||Main Hoon Shahid Afridi||Maulvi Majeed||ARY Film Award for Best Star Debut Male|
|Waar||Ehtisham||ARY Film Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2015||Jawani Phir Nahi Ani||Saif|
|2016||Ho Mann Jahaan||Malang Baba||Cameo appearance|
|2017||Shaan-e-Ishq||Mehwish's Brother||Cameo appearance|
|2018||Parwaaz Hay Junoon||Hamza|
|Jawani Phir Nahi Ani 2||Saif||special appearance as Imran Khan|
|2019||The Legend of Maula Jatt||Noori Natt|
|TBA||Kambakht||Yes||Film in re-working process|
|2012||Meray Dard Ko Jo Zuban Miley||Salaar/Azam||TV Debut|
|2013–2015||Burka Avenger||Baba Bandook||Voice Over|
|2013||Pyaray Afzal||Afzal Subhanullah||Drama serial, Main role|
|Ek Tha Raja aur Ek Thi Rani||Farhan||Telefilm|
|Gullo Weds Gooli||Gullo||Telefilm|
|2016||Mann Mayal||Salahuddin||Drama serial, Main role|
|2019||Alif||Momin||Released on 5 October|
Hosting and judging
|2014||1st ARY Film Awards||Co-host||ARY Digital|||
|2015||3rd Hum Awards||Co-host||Hum TV|
|2018||Debate Headquarters||Host||BOL Network|
|2019||Pakistan Star||Judge||BOL Network|
Awards and nominations
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|ARY Film Awards|
|2014||Waar||ARY Film Award for Best Supporting Actor||Won|
|Main Hoon Shahid Afridi||ARY Film Award for Best Star Debut Male||Won|
|2016||Jawani Phir Nahi Ani||Best Supporting Actor||Won|
|Lux Style Awards|
|2015||Pyarey Afzal||Best TV Actor||Won|
|2016||Best Dressed Male ||Won|
|Hum TV Awards|
|2017||Mann Mayal||Best Actor Popular||Won|
|2017||Mann Mayal||Best Onscreen Couple||Won|
|International Pakistan Prestige Awards|
|2017||Style Icon of the Year Male||Won|
- Sophia Cook (February 17, 2015). "39 Facts: Hamza Ali Abbasi Mother Slapped Him In 1995". Archived from the original on March 15, 2015.
- Web Desk (12 May 2016), "Six Pakistani celebrities and their real age", New Tribe. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- Shakeel, Madiha (March 3, 2020). "Hamza Ali Abbasi has 'not quit' acting, will be back soon". Business Recorder. Retrieved March 5, 2020.
- "There is massive religious discrimination in Pakistan: Hamza Ali Abbasi". The Express Tribune. July 4, 2020.
- "Pyare Afzal - the tragedy". ARY News. Amber Batool. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- "Hottie of the week: Hamza". The Express Tribune. August 15, 2013.
- "ARY Film Awards 2014 - Complete Winners List". Brand Synario. April 30, 2014. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- Staff (13 November 2017), "Hamza Ali Abbasi tries to teach Punjabi to Mahira Khan", DunyaNews. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- Uzair Anwer (21 August 2019), "It’s Official: Hamza Ali Abbasi Confirms Marriage To Naimal Khawar", Galaxy Lollywood. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- Entertainment Desk (24 January 2015), "Hamza Ali Abbasi appointed PTI Karachi's culture secretary", Dawn News. Retrieved 5 July 2018
- Saira Khan (22 January 2018), ""Eyes are the first thing I notice in a girl," Hamza Ali Abbasi", hipinpakistan. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Hamza Ali Abbasi: From Police to Pyaray Afzal" (2 March 2015), hipinpakistan. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- Saif Ali (10 November 2015), "These Facts About Hamza Ali Abbasi’s Life Will Leave You Speechless!", Parlho. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- Jaffar Abbas Zaidi (9 February 2014), "Hamza Ali Abbasi – A Story of His Own", The Nation. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "Hamza Ali Abbasi – our reason to believe in Pakistani cinema". Archived from the original on November 4, 2013. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- "Burka Avenger all set to sweep negative elements off their feet". thenews.com.pk. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Asia Afzal (1 April 2015), "Hamza Ali Abbasi resigns as PTI Cultural Secretary", Business Recorder. 14 April 2019.
- Hussain, Danish. "PTI ups hostility to Reham's book a notch". The Express Tribune. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- Khan, Saira (September 8, 2016). "Hamza Ali Abbasi will not be a part of JPNA 2". HIP.
- "Pyaray Afzal vs Nawaz Shareef's speech and winner is." The Express Tribune. Fatima Majeed. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "ALIF: Hamza Ali Abbasi and Sajal Ali's new drama serial – Watch on Geo TV". www.thenews.com.pk.
- "ARY boasts of first ever ARY Film Awards 2014 | BizAsia Media | The UK's only Asian media news site". Media247.co.uk. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "ARY Film Awards – the full list of winners". Karachista | Pakistani Fashion & Lifestyle Mag. April 28, 2014.
- Iqbal, Sahar (April 18, 2016). "ARY Film Awards 2016: Complete Winners' List, Event Highlights & Pictures".
- Ahmed, Bismah (October 1, 2015). "Lux Style Awards 2015 Winners' List & Highlights".
- "Complete list of winners of 15th LUX Style Awards 2016 | Samaa Digital". Samaa TV.
- "Here's is the winners list of '5th HUM Awards 2017'". Daily Pakistan Global.
- "International Pakistan Prestige Awards Nominations Revealed!". Brandsynario. September 11, 2017. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- "The first International Pakistan Prestige Awards take place in London". Daily Times. September 24, 2017. Retrieved September 24, 2017.