Hangul (word processor)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hancom Office NEO / January 26, 2016
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
Hancom Office 2014 VP for Mac / March 31, 2015
|Platform||Intel x86 (no PowerPC support)|
|Website||www.hancom.com (in Korean)|
Hangul 97 / 1998
|Operating system||Classic Mac OS|
Hangul (also known as Hangul Word Processor or HWP) is a proprietary word processing application published by the South Korean company Hancom Inc.. Hangul's specialized support for the Korean written language has gained it widespread use in South Korea, especially by the government.
Hangul saves documents in HWP format, with the filename extension *.hwp. It is one of the standard document formats of the South Korean government. It is widely used for a number of reasons: Koreans require DTP level layout features to word processor, and its unique program can process Middle Korean.
HWP files, up to the versions created with Hangul '97, can be opened with OpenOffice.org (version 4.1.1 or earlier) or LibreOffice. However, files created with later editions of Hangul, including Hangul Wordian, Hangul 2002, Hangul 2005 and Hangul 2007 cannot be opened with OpenOffice or LibreOffice, due to the major changes in the document structure. These later versions of Hangul do not provide support for opening and saving of files in Microsoft Word format, but users are not necessarily aware of this. Consequently, Korean Hangul users may often send files to non-Koreans in .hwp format, not realizing the recipient will be unable to open such files.
Hangul Office in English
Haansoft released "Office 2010 SE" which is an English Edition of Hancom office that includes the following applications:
- Hanword is a word processor for optimal word processing.
- Hancell is a spreadsheet Software for efficient data processing and analysis.
- Hanshow is a presentation software.
- Hancom Office
Haansoft offers a freely available Hangul document viewer program called "Hancom Office Viewer 2010 SE" (한컴오피스 뷰어 2010 SE).
Haansoft near bankruptcy
Haansoft was on the verge of bankruptcy after the release of its 2002 version, due to the widespread use of illegal copies. A campaign to support the development of Korean software and promote the purchase of legal copies of Hangul allowed Haansoft to recover.
Hangul has many versions, the latest of which is Hangul NEO for Windows, Hangul 2008 Linux for Linux, and Hangul 2014 for Mac.
Previous versions have included:
- Hangul 0.9, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 (1989)
- Hangul 1.2L, 1.3L (1990)
- Hangul 1.5, 1.51, 1.52,1.52D (1991)
- Hangul 2.0 Pro/Basic (1992)
- Hangul 2.1 Pro/Basic/Test/Little (1993)
- Hangul 2.5 (1994)
- Hangul 3.0 (1995)
- Hangul 3.0, 3.0a, 3.0b (1995)
- Hangul 96, International, Japanese (1996)
- Hangul 97, 97 strengthen, 815 special edition (1998)
- Hangul Wordian, Hangul for Kids (2000)
- Hangul 2002 (2001, widely used for government e-document system)
- Hangul 2004 (2003)
- Hangul 2005 (2004)
- Hangul 2007 (2006)
- Hangul 2010 (2010) 
- Hancom Office 2010 SE(English Edition)
- Hangul 2014 (2013)
- Hangul NEO (2016)
Classic Mac OS
- Hangul 96, 97 (1998)
- Hangul 2006 (2006) : PPC binary
- Hangul 2014 for Mac (2013)
- Hangul X 1.0, X 3.0 (1995)
- Hangul X R4 (1999, bundled in Mizi Linux 1 and 1.1)
- Hangul X R5 (2000, included in Hancom Office 2)
- Hangul 2008 Linux (2008, included in Hancom Office 2008 Linux)
- Keith N. McKenna (28 October 2015). "Release Notes for Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2". Confluence. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
... The few users who have files in the .hwp format should convert them to ODF using Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 before upgrading.
- "Sean" (2004-04-15). "opening hwp files in MSword". Eflgeek.com. Archived from the original on 2010-03-10. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- "Haansoft Supports Open Type Documentation Standard". ZDNet.
- "한글과컴퓨터". Hancom.co.kr. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Another High-Tech Barrier Falls in South Korea", July 2, 2010
- Hancom Takes Vision of Information Independence to the Globe
- "한컴 오피스, 3월 3일 출시 February 2, 2010". Bloter.net. Retrieved 2012-06-18.