Handling the Undead
Handling the Undead cover
|Author||John Ajvide Lindqvist|
|Original title||(Swedish: Hanteringen av odöda)|
|Publisher||St. Martin's Griffin|
Published in English
Handling the Undead (Swedish: Hanteringen av odöda) is a 2005 horror novel by Swedish writer John Ajvide Lindqvist, translated into English in 2009. The book revolves around the unexplained reanimation of thousands of recently deceased people in Stockholm.
The plot focuses on the reactions of society and the many conflicts that arise between Swedish authorities and the relatives of the undead; the horror is less in the uncanny animation of corpses but in the realities of grief, loss and our own inevitable mortality. An important theme is the bond between parents and children.
A Swedish film adaptation has reportedly been in development since 2005, based on a screenplay by Lindqvist and directed by Kristian Petri. It is produced by Tre Vänner Produktion AB and the release date is yet to be announced.
Bibliography (English translations)
- John Ajvide Lindqvist: Handling the Undead: London: Quercus: 2009: ISBN 1-84724-413-0
- Australian Edition: Melbourne: Text: 2009: ISBN 1-921351-80-2
- Redvall, Eva (2005-10-20). "Skräckmästaren förvånad över framgången" (in Swedish). Sydsvenskan. Retrieved on 2009-11-29.
- Rehlin, Gunnar (2009-03-27). "Horror pics get Swedish massage." Variety. Retrieved on 2009-11-29.
- Hanteringen av odöda (2014?) (in Swedish). Swedish Film Institute. Retrieved on 2014-08-04.
|This article about a horror novel of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.