Hangar 13 (company)
|Industry||Video game industry|
|Founded||December 4, 2014|
Number of locations
|4 studios (2018)|
|Haden Blackman (creative director, studio head)|
Number of employees
Hangar 13 is an American video game developer based in Novato, California, in the area of the former Hamilton Air Force Base. Founded by Haden Blackman on December 4, 2014, as division of 2K Games (a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive), the company's debut game was Mafia III, which was released in October 2016. In 2017, 2K Czech was merged into Hangar 13, wherefore the studio received two additional studios in Brno and Prague; another studio in Brighton was opened in 2018.
On December 4, 2014, 2K Games announced that they had set up a new game studio, Hangar 13, led by industry veteran Haden Blackman, formerly creative director for LucasArts. Blackman told GamesBeat that the studio would work on a game for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
Mafia III, the studio's debut title, was teased by 2K Games on July 28, 2015, and formally revealed at Gamescom 2015, on August 5, 2015, with a cinematic trailer. 2K Czech had a supporting role in the game's development. Mafia III was released on October 7, 2016, for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
On February 15, 2018, 2K Games announced that Hangar 13 had been hit with massive layoffs, though not disclosing concrete numbers. At the time, Hangar 13 was brainstorming ideas from their next game, one potential idea included a "fight to music" system where your moves would create songs, similar to Harmonix's cancelled Chroma.
On May 16, 2018, 2K Games opened a new Hangar 13-branded studio in Brighton, England. The Brighton studio is headed by Nick Baynes. On July 11, 2018, Hangar 13 confirmed that the studio was working on a new intellectual property.
On March 28, 2019, Gearbox Software announced that they had partnered with Hangar 13 to release a free update for Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, titled "Ultra HD", which would add 4K graphics to the remastered versions of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.
|2019||Borderlands: The Handsome Collection - Ultra HD||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- McWhertor, Michael (December 4, 2014). "2K Games forms new studio led by ex-LucasArts creative director Haden Blackman". Polygon. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- Takahashi, Dean (December 4, 2014). "2K launches brand new console game studio Hangar 13". VentureBeat. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- Nunneley, Stephany (August 5, 2015). "Mafia 3: here's the reveal trailer as promised". VG247. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- Hanson, Ben (October 14, 2015). "Who The Hell Is Mafia III Developer Hangar 13?". Game Informer. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- Makuch, Eddie (April 19, 2016). "Mafia 3 Release Date Announced, New Trailer and Deluxe Versions Revealed". GameSpot. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- Sinclair, Brendan (January 4, 2018). "Have you seen these studios?". GamesIndustry.biz. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- Bailey, Dustin (February 15, 2018). "Mafia 3 developers Hangar 13 hit with layoffs". PCGamesN. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- Schreier, Jason (February 15, 2018). "Big Layoffs Hit Mafia III Developer Hangar 13". Kotaku. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- Dring, Christopher (May 16, 2018). "Mafia III developer Hangar 13 opens UK studio for AAA console game". gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved May 16, 2018.
- Green, Brandon (July 11, 2018). "Mafia III Developer Hangar 13 Confirm They are Working on a new IP". Game Revolution. Retrieved July 29, 2018.
- Borderlands 3 (March 28, 2019). "Sending the hugest of shout-outs and thanks to the devs at @Blind_Squirrel_ for their work on Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition and to @Hangar13Games for their work on The Handsome Collection Ultra HD Pack! You rock!pic.twitter.com/PkxpI450i3". @Borderlands. Retrieved March 29, 2019.