Hangedup are an experimental rock duo from Montreal, Canada, featuring Genevieve Heistek on Viola and Eric Craven on drums and percussion. Their combines viola with strong percussion, sometimes using self-made instruments, to create intense experimental post-rock music.
Both Heistek and Craven performed with the band Sackville. Heistek was also part of The Mile End Ladies String Auxiliary, Set Fire to Flames, HṚṢṬA, and Land of Kush. Craven was associated with Shortwave, HṚṢṬA, and formerly Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band.
In 1999 they came together to form Hangedup, and were signed in Montréal by Sackville's label, Constellation Records. Their first album, self-titled, was recorded at Hotel2Tango studios and released in 2001, and "Kicker in Tow" the next year. Clatter for Control came out in 2005.
- Hangedup (2001) - Constellation Records
- Kicker In Tow (2002) - Constellation Records
- Clatter For Control (2005) - Constellation Records
- Transit Of Venus - With Tony Conrad (2012) - Constellation Records
- "Hangedup: Clatter for Control Constellation" Stylus. Archived 2006-12-15 at the Wayback Machine. archived at the Wayback Machine
- "Clatter For Control HANGEDUP". Emoragei, 3 April 2005.
- "Hangedup: Clatter for Control". Scene Point Blank, June 10, 2005.
- "MICROVIEW :: Volume 20b". By TJ Norris, Igloo Magazine , 05/17/2005
- Coda Magazine. Issues 325-330. J. Norris. 2006. p. 36.
- "Hangedup". AllMusic. Review by Peter J. D'Angelo
- "Kicker in Tow" Pitchfork
- "Top 50 Releases of 2002". The Silent Ballet,
- The Wire. C. Parker. 2005. p. 66.
- "Various Musique Fragile Vol. 2". Exclaim!, By Nick Storring. Jun 27, 2012