Hangu District, Pakistan
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Total||1,097 km2 (424 sq mi)|
|• Density||470/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PST)|
Hangu District (Pashto: هنګو ولسوالۍ, Urdu: ضِلع ہنگو) is a district in Kohat Division of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Pakistan. The district takes its name from the town of Hangu, which is its administrative centre. The name Hangu may also sometimes be applied to the Miranzai Valley which is partly within the district, bordering the Samana Range.
Hangu District is divided into two tehsils:
The district comprises two constituencies for the Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa: The Pakistan Muslim League (N) (PML-N) has an overwhelming majority here. NA-9 and now NA-16 have been the stronghold of the party. Maulvi Naimatullah, Syed Ifthikhar Hussain Gilani and Javed Ibrahim Piracha have won consecutively since 1985. In the 2002 elections, PML-N did not run a candidate, but in 2008, Dr. Farooq Bangash, the PML-N NA-16 Candidate, was forced to surrender by the party leadership to ANP Syed Haider Ali Shah, who won marginally from Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA). Now the majority and whole control for PTI, In Local body election PTI also gain the main power, and there is still strong opposition of JUI.
|2002||Akhunzada Muhammad Sadiq||MMA|
|2008||Syed Haider Ali Shah||ANP|
|2013||Khial Zaman Aurak Zai||PTI|
|2018||Khial Zaman Aurak Zai||PTI|
The district is represented by two elected MPAs in the provincial assembly who represent the following constituencies:
Various public and private school and colleges exists in district hangu. Hangu population is near by 0.8 million people and they demand for university in 2013.Agriculture University campus was to be built in Hangu City but still the project is in pending while funds is transfer to Charsada University during ANP government. Recently the government degree college hangu start BS Hons 4-year program under Kohat University of Science and Technology.
Aitzaz Hasan Shaheed High School (formerly Government High School Ibrahim Zai) is located in the district. Aitzaz Hasan was a student of this school who was killed in January 2014 while trying to prevent a suicide bomber from entering his school.
- "DISTRICT WISE CENSUS RESULTS CENSUS 2017" (PDF). www.pbscensus.gov.pk. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-08-29. Retrieved 2017-09-01.
- 1998 District Census report of Hangu. Census publication. 95. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 2000.
- "Hangu". Provincial Assembly of NWFP. Retrieved 2009-01-11.[dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-11-10. Retrieved 2017-11-08.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Bravery award for teen bomb hero Archived 2014-01-11 at the Wayback Machine" (Archive). IOL News. 11 January 2014. Retrieved on 11 January 2014.
- Lou Johnson (2006–2008). "Photo 101101 - Train passes cultivated fields between Kohat at Hangu - Pakistan". Worldwide Photo Essays. Walking Britain. Archived from the original on 2007-03-11. Retrieved 2009-01-11.