aka Super Dude
|Directed by||Henry Hathaway|
|Music by||Tony Camillo|
Hangup, also called Hang Up and later released under the name Super Dude, is a 1974 film directed by Henry Hathaway. It stars William Elliott and Marki Bey. This was the last film directed by Hathaway.
The film falls in the blaxploitation subgenre of "vigilante group cleans up ghetto streets". The film follows a black policeman seeking revenge on the man who got his girlfriend addicted to heroin. The film was distributed by American International Pictures, one of the many films it targeted to the new youth market. Josiah Howard states that the marketing "almost makes it look like a spoof of the genre." Howard described the film as "low budget and flashy, but fast-moving and consistently entertaining." Leonard Maltin wrote "Hathaway has done many fine films, but this, his last, isn't one."
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2021)
- William Elliott as Ken
- Cliff Potts as Lou
- Marki Bey as Julie
- Jerry Ayres as Jerry
- Wally Taylor as Sergeant Becker
- Barbara Baldavin as Beverly
- Morris Buchanan as Dave
- Rafael Campos as "Longnose"
- Bob Delegall as Jennings
- Louie Elias as Detective
- Duffy Hambleton as Detective
- Lynn Hamilton as Mrs. Ramsey
- Herbert Jefferson, Jr. as Ben
- Michael Lerner as Richards
- Timothy Blake as Gwen
- Reflections on Blaxploitation: Actors and Directors Speak. Scarecrow Press. 2009. pp. 222–. ISBN 9780810867062.
- "Hangup (1974) - Henry Hathaway - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- Howard, Josiah (2008). Blaxploitation cinema: the essential reference guide. FAB Press. ISBN 9781903254370. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- Stevenson, Jack (2000-09-01). Addicted: The Myth and Menace of Drugs in Film. Creation. ISBN 9781840680232. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- Martinez, Gerald; Martínez, Diana; Chavez, Andres (1998-10-18). What it is, what it was!: the Black film explosion of the '70s in words and pictures. Hyperion. ISBN 9780786883776. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- Marich, Robert (2005). Marketing to Moviegoers: A Handbook of Strategies Used by Major Studios and Independents. Taylor & Francis. pp. 253–. ISBN 9780240806877. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- Maltin, Leonard (2009-08-04). Leonard Maltin's 2010 Movie Guide. Penguin Group US. pp. 1283–. ISBN 9781101108765. Retrieved 6 March 2014.