Hani Al-Dhabit, Omani footballer
|Full name||Hani Al-Dhabit Faraj Bait Al-Noobi|
|Date of birth||15 October 1979|
|Place of birth||Salalah, Oman|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking Midfielder|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Hani Al-Dhabit Faraj Bait Al-Noobi commonly known as Hani Al-Dhabit (Arabic: هاني الضابط فرج بيت النوبي; born 15 October 1979) is an Omani footballer who plays for Dhofar S.C.S.C. in Oman Professional League.
Hani Al-Dhabit is a long-time veteran of the most successful sports club in Oman, Dhofar S.C.S.C. and has been in the squad for over 10 years. He is the captain of Dhofar and wears the number 14 jersey, as he had previously worn throughout his career with the national team.
Club career statistics
|Al-Jahra||2004–05||Kuwaiti Premier League||-||2||-||0||0||0||-||0||-||2|
|Dhofar||2004–05||Oman Elite League||-||1||-||3||0||0||-||0||-||4|
He played for the Oman national football team from 1998 to 2008 and was the captain of the team in 2002 and 2003. His most successful season for the national team was during 2001-02 and he was the world's leading goalscorer in international matches in 2001.
Gulf Cup of Nations
In the 1998 Gulf Cup of Nations, despite his young age, he scored a goal in a 2-2 draw against Bahrain. In the tournament, Oman finished at the fourth place with four points from one win and one draw.
He first showed his talent during the 2002 Gulf Cup of Nations scoring five goals, a hat-trick in a 3-1 win over the then powerhouse 9-time competition winners, Kuwait, a goal in a 1-2 loss against Qatar and another in a 1-1 draw against Bahrain. At the end of the competition he was awarded with the "Top Goal Scorer" award. In the tournament, Oman finished at the fifth place with four points from one win and one draw.
Although not being successful in scoring any goals in both the 2003 Gulf Cup of Nations and the 2004 Gulf Cup of Nations, he still made many appearances, and was handed the captain's band once again in the 2003 Gulf Cup of Nations. This time Hani led Oman to its most successful position ever yet in the Gulf Cup of Nations competition, reaching the final four round for the first time with eight points from two wins and two draws.
During the 2004 Gulf Cup of Nations, he was not assigned captaincy by Czech coach, Milan Macala. He was featured widely as a substitute, but still received an adequate amount of playing time, and scored a goal in the penalty-kick shootout during the final in which Oman lost to the hosts Qatar in a penalty shootout after the goalkeeping sensation Ali Al-Habsi missed a penalty. Qatar won the match 6-5 on penalties after the match had ended 1-1 at normal time. Amad Al-Hosni was awarded the "Top Goal Scorer" award of the competition with a total of four goals.
AFC Asian Cup Qualification
He scored five goals in the qualification for the 2004 AFC Asian Cup, one in a 7-0 win over Nepal, a brace in a 6-0 win over Vietnam, other in a 3-1 win over South Korea and another in a 2-0 win over Vietnam hence helping his team to qualify for the 2004 AFC Asian Cup. In the tournament, Oman won four points in a 2-0 win over Thailand and a 2-2 draw against Iran and hence failed to qualify for the quarter-finals.
FIFA World Cup Qualification
He scored eleven goals in 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification, five goals in a 12-0 win over Laos, a brace in the return leg in a 7-0 win over Laos, a brace in a 7-0 win over Philippines and another in a 2-2 draw against the United Arab Emirates. During the qualifications, Oman had scored some of the most goals in the shortest period of time, with the largest margin wins in the team's history. Many of the goals were scored by Hani.
After eventually being knocked out of qualification, Hani had scored a total of 11 goals in 4 matches out of the 12 matches Oman had played. In one match, he was on the brink of a double hat-trick but unfortunately he couldn't. At the end of the year, he was awarded the 2001 Top Goal Scorer Award with a total of 22 international goals, beating Spain's Raúl, England's Michael Owen, and Portugal's Luís Figo, becoming the first Omani and only third Arab, to win the title.
National team career statistics
Goals for senior national team
- Scores and results list Oman's goal tally first.
- With Dhofar
- Omani League (3): 1998-99, 2000-01, 2004-05; Runner-up 2007–08, 2009-10
- Sultan Qaboos Cup (3): 1999, 1999, 2006; Runner-up 2002, 2009
- Oman Super Cup (2): 1999, 2000 Runner-up 2012
- Oman Professional League Cup (1): 2012-13; Runner-up 2014–15
- Gulf Club Champions Cup (0): Runner-up 1996
- Baniyas SC International Tournament (1): Winner 2014
- With Al-Sadd
- All time top goal scorer
- IFFHS World's Top Goal Scorer of the Year (1): 2001
- Top goal scorer of the 2003 Gulf Cup of Nations
- Hani has participated in the group-draw for the 2004 Gulf Cup in Qatar.
- He has featured as a match analyst on Al Jazeera Sports during the 2009 Gulf Cup of Nations in Muscat a number of times, most notably in the final against Saudi Arabian national team.
- Hani Al-Dhabit has recently been called up for a Beach Soccer tournament in Dubai, in which Oman had won.
- Hani Al-Dhabit at National-Football-Teams.com
- "Gulf Cup14 - Bahrain 1998". goalzz.com.
- "Gulf Cup15 - Saudi 2002 (Goal Scorers)". goalzz.com.
- "Gulf Cup15 - Saudi 2002". goalzz.com.
- "Gulf Cup16 - Kuwait 2003". goalzz.com.
- "17th Gulf Cup - Qatar 2004". goalzz.com.
- "17th Gulf Cup - Qatar 2004 (Goal Scorers)". goalzz.com.
- "ASIAN CUP QUALIFICATION 2004". soccerway.com.
- "NEPAL VS. OMAN 0 - 7". soccerway.com.
- "OMAN VS. VIETNAM 6 - 0". soccerway.com.
- "OMAN VS. KOREA REPUBLIC 3 - 1". soccerway.com.
- "OMAN VS. VIETNAM 2 - 0". soccerway.com.
- "OMAN VS. THAILAND 2 - 0". soccerway.com.
- "OMAN VS. IRAN 2 - 2". soccerway.com.
- "ASIAN CUP 2004". soccerway.com.
- "OMAN VS. NEPAL 2 - 0". soccerway.com.
- "OMAN VS. LAOS 12 - 0". soccerway.com.
- "LAOS VS. OMAN 0 - 7". soccerway.com.
- "OMAN VS. PHILIPPINES 7 - 0". soccerway.com.
- "UAE VS. OMAN 2 - 2". soccerway.com.
- http://www.iffhs.de/?388d85ff0e003c4f05e91a55685fdcdc3bfcdc0aec70aeedb8a710 IFFHS 2001 World's Top Goal Scorer
- http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/aldhabit-intlg.html Hani Al-Dhabit goals and appearances, as of early 2006.
- http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/51294244/AFP Hani selected for group draw
- http://www.sportsoman.com/arabic/news-details.aspx?id=23669 Sportsoman--Al Dhabit called up for beach soccer tournament