This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He is married and the father of three children. He is the director of the Islamic Center of Geneva and the author of several books and newspaper articles on Islam and its doctrine. In 1983 he obtained Swiss citizenship by naturalization and earned a doctorate in Philosophy form the University of Geneva.
He taught French in high school until he was fired in 2002 by the Swiss government for "anti-democratic" statements. He defended stoning for adultery and believes AIDS is a "divine curse". He went to court and won his trial but the Swiss government has refused to reinstate him.
He again attracted the attention of the press and Swiss authorities by virtue of his radical statements. At the 2014 meeting of the Union of Islamic Organizations in France, he stated: "“All the evil in the world originates from the Jews and the Zionist barbarism.”  In June 2016 he was invited to speak about islamophobia at a Swiss high school. He stated that a woman "is like a pearl in a shell. If it is shown it fosters jealousy. Here a woman without a veil is like a two euro coin. Visible to all she goes from hand to hand."
He was expelled from France on April 8, 2017 for his past remarks and behaviour that posed a serious threat to public order, as per the statement issued by the French Interior Ministry.
- "Enquête sur Hani Ramadan et son activité pour l'Etat de Genève" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-11-09. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- "Hani Ramadan piégé par la loi scolaire genevoise - SWI" (in French). Swissinfo.ch. 2002-12-19. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Muslim teacher fired for violating Geneva laws - SWI". Swissinfo.ch. 2002-12-19. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- ELAINE SCIOLINO (2003-11-16). "A Muslim Scholar Raises Hackles in France - The New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Hani Ramadan Wins Monetary Award After Being Fired For Supporting Islamic Stoning". Globalmbwatch.com. 2008-01-18. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "You are being redirected". Jihadwatch.org. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- Bibollet, Christian (September 7, 2015). "Un complot juif contre le monde musulman: Hani Ramadan s'égare". Le Temps.
- "Hani Ramadan : "La femme sans voile est comme une pièce de 2 euros, elle passe d'une main à l'autre"" (in French). Marianne.net. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Swiss imam expelled from France". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-09.