Hanina ben Antigonus
It is supposed that in his youth he had witnessed the service of the Temple of Jerusalem, since he knew the fluters that played before the altar. If this were so, Ḥanina must have enjoyed unusual longevity, as he often appears in halakic controversy with Akiva's latest disciples. Be this as it may, he was learned in the laws relating to the priests, and many such laws are preserved in his name, while precedents reported by him regarding the services and appurtenances of the Temple influenced later rabbinical opinions.
Just one aggadah is recorded under his name:
- Whosoever practises the precept concerning the fringes on the borders [kanfei] of garments will realize the promise: 'Ten men . . . shall take hold of the skirt [bekanaf] of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you'. On the other hand, he who violates the precept concerning the skirt [kanaf] is included in the verse 'take hold of the ends of [bekanaf] the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it'
- Bekhorot 7:5
- Tosefta 'Arachin 1:15; compare 'Arachin 2:4
- HANINA (HANANIAH) B. ANTIGONUS, jewishencyclopedia
- Kiddushin 4:5; Bekhorot 6:3,10,11; 7:2,5; Temurah 6:5
- Yevamot 13:2; Niddah 6:13 [compare ib. Gemara 52b], 8:2
- Shevuot 6:3; Eruvin 4:8
- Bekhorot 7:2,5; Mekhilta, Yitro, Baḥodesh, 6
- Numbers 15:38 et seq.
- Zechariah 8:23
- Job 38:13
- Sifre, Numbers 115
- Sem. iii. 10
|This biographical article about a rabbi from the Middle East is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|