Hank in his mobile dog house
|Breed||Bichon Frise mixed-breed|
|Born||Unknown, estimated to be 2–3 years of age in February 2014|
|Notable role||Unofficial mascot of the Milwaukee Brewers|
|Appearance||White with grey|
|Named after||Hank Aaron|
Hank, also known as Hank T. Dog, is an unofficial mascot of the Milwaukee Brewers of Major League Baseball. Believed to be a part-Bichon Frise mixed-breed of about two or three years of age, Hank was rescued by the Brewers when he wandered into their spring training facility before the start of the 2014 MLB season.
Hank was a stray dog when he wandered around the fields of the spring training facility of the Milwaukee Brewers, located at Maryvale Baseball Park in Phoenix, Arizona, on February 17, 2014. Hank was first spotted by security guards, and was then taken inside the facility by Brewers coach Ed Sedar. Hank weighed 11 pounds (5.0 kg), had been run over by a car, and had two chipped teeth.
Team officials attempted to find an owner, and when one could not be found, they rescued Hank. They took him to a veterinarian, where he was treated for a laceration. The organization named him Hank in honor of Hank Aaron. Hank competed in a Sausage Race during a spring training game wearing a hot dog costume on February 26.
Hank's story went viral on social media, and was covered by many news outlets. The Brewers received over 1,000 requests to adopt Hank. Towards the end of spring training, the Brewers announced that Hank would remain with the team. He was included on a charter flight to Milwaukee in March; its arrival at Mitchell International Airport was attended by Chris Abele, the County Executive for Milwaukee County, and Tom Barrett, the Mayor of Milwaukee. Fans met Hank at Miller Park in Milwaukee. The team unveiled official Hank-themed merchandise. Over a thousand shirts, bearing the name "Hank" and the number "K9", were sold on the first day. The Brewers will donate 20% of the proceeds to the Wisconsin Humane Society at the end of the 2014 MLB season.
Hank was adopted by Marti Wronski, who works as the team's vice president and general counsel, and her family, who live in Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin. Hank is believed to be between two and three years old and a bichon frise mixed-breed. The Brewers intend to have him attend many, but not all, home games. By Opening Day, Hank's weight had increased to 15 pounds (6.8 kg).
Bernie Brewer, the Brewers' official mascot, led Hank onto the field during introductions on Opening Day. The next day, Hank had neutering surgery. Hank had a Bobblehead giveaway on September 13, 2014. Hank met baseball legend Hank Aaron on August 21, 2014. In January 2015, Hank won the Golden Hydrant award when he was named Dog of the Year at the inaugural World Dog Awards. On May 10, 2015, Hank had another bobblehead giveaway in his honor.
- "Milwaukee gives Hank the Dog the amazing welcome he deserves | For The Win". Ftw.usatoday.com. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Mattioli, Kami (February 21, 2014). "Homeless Hank Aaron has joined the Milwaukee Brewers for spring training — MLB". Sporting News. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Stingl, Jim (March 18, 2014). "Hank the dog — Milwaukee's new favorite pastime". Journal Sentinel. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Estes, Ben. "Hank the dog, a 'pup-culture icon,' lands safely in Milwaukee — MLB". Sporting News. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Puppy love: Hank a big hit with Brewers fans | brewers.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. March 27, 2014. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "15 photos of Hank, the adorable dog the Brewers found at spring training | For The Win". Ftw.usatoday.com. February 21, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Fox Sports (March 14, 2014). "Hank the Dog heading to Milwaukee, remaining part of Brewers family | FOX Sports on MSN". Msn.foxsports.com. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Tango, Inner (February 19, 2014). ""Fetcher" Reports to Spring Training; Tries to Walk On As Member of 2014 Brewers « John & Cait...Plus Nine". Brewers.mlblogs.com. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Machir, Troy (February 26, 2014). "Hank, the Brewers' new team dog, competes in Sausage Race (VIDEO) - MLB". Sporting News. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Fogel, Anna (February 26, 2014). "Brewers' new mascot Hank the Dog runs in famous Sausage Race". NESN. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- "Hank getting a new home in Milwaukee « Brew Beat". Brewersbeat.mlblogs.com. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Cassandra Negley (March 14, 2014). "Hank the dog joins Milwaukee Brewers official roster — MLB". Sporting News. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "'Hank The Dog' Attracts Fans To Miller Park « CBS Philly". Philadelphia.cbslocal.com. March 7, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Hank the dog T-shirt sales may set Milwaukee Brewers record — Milwaukee — Milwaukee Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Humane Society officials "floored" by impact Brewers Hank has had". FOX6Now.com. March 30, 2014. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "Hank the Dog receives standing ovation at Brewers opening day | For The Win". Ftw.usatoday.com. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- Foran, Chris. "Hank the Brewers dog OK after surgery; headed to disabled list". Jsonline.com. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "Brewers mascot, Hank, gets bobblehead night in Milwaukee". NY Daily News. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Kathy Flanigan. "Hank Aaron meets Hank the Brewers dog for the 1st time". jsonline.com. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Extra Mustard. "Milwaukee Brewers' Hank the Dog wins 'Dog of the Year' - Extra Mustard - SI.com". SI.com. Retrieved January 16, 2015.