As a child, Müller took violin lessons with Dinu Hartwich and later joined a choir. Since the age of 11, she took vocal lessons with Judith Janzen to sing solo parts. In 1998, she performed the boy soprano in Leonard Bernstein's MASS during the Kultursommer Ludwigshafen. She continued singing as a hobby during her high school education und earned several prizes in the junior musician's competition Jugend musiziert.
Following her high school degree, she studied vocal arts in the soloist class of former opera singer Rudolf Piernay at the Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst Mannheim. To complete her studies, she attended master classes of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Júlia Várady, Edith Wiens, Elly Ameling, Thomas Hampson and Wolfram Rieger.
In the song duo competition 2009 at Enschede, Netherlands, she gained, together with her accompanist Mihaela Tomi, the highest award, the audience award and the award for the best interpretation of a contemporary opus. In 2010 she gained the 1st prize in the competition Ton und Erklärung – Werkvermittlung in Musik und Wort of the Kulturkreis der Deutschen Wirtschaft. This award was given by a jury of nine experts chaired by Francisco Araiza and attests that she is not only able to perform music on the highest level but also to explain it convincingly. In 2011, she obtained awards in the Ada Sari International Vocal Art Competition at Nowy Sącz.
Her first stage debuts in important roles were Euridice in Orfeo ed Euridice (April 2010) at Kammeroper Rheinsberg and Pamina in Die Zauberflöte (November 2011) at Theater & Philharmonie Thüringen, Gera. She also represented this role at the Teatro dell'Opera di Roma in March 2012. On 22 December 2013 she was featured by Rolando Villazón in the series Stars de Demain by Arte.
Bavarian State Opera
At the Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Müller was member of the opera studio in the season 2010/11 and member of the company from the season 2012/2013 to 2015/2016. This resulted in a number of successful role debuts, e.g. as Gretel in Hänsel und Gretel (March 2013), Zerlina in Don Giovanni (May 2013), Susanna in Le nozze di Figaro (September 2013), Sophie in Werther (October 2015) und Marzelline in Fidelio (February 2016). Furthermore she presented roles which she already had performed at other opera houses, i.e. Zdenka in Andreas Dresen's new production of Arabella during Munich Opera Festival in July 2015 and Sophie in Der Rosenkavalier in July 2016. In 2013 she obtained the "Festspielpreis der Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Münchner Opernfestspiele".
Other opera houses
On 12 April 2014 she debuted as Zdenka in Arabella by Richard Strauss during the Salzburg Easter Festival. She was on stage together with Renée Fleming and Thomas Hampson and convinced the audience as well as the critics. This success was crucial for the election as Nachwuchskünstlerin des Jahres (upcoming artist of the year) by the critics of the journal Opernwelt. As Zdenka she also debuted at the Semperoper Dresden in November 2014. On 5 September 2015 she debuted as Sophie in Der Rosenkavalier at De Nederlandse Opera Amsterdam.
In 2017 Müller passed important milestones of her international career, namely her debut at the Metropolitan Opera, New York, as Marzelline in Jürgen Flimm's production of Fidelio (March 2017), and at La Scala, Milan, where she had her role debut as Donna Anna in Don Giovanni. Her first perfomance at Zürich Opera House was in February 2018 in the new role of Ilia in Idomeneo,
Oratorios and recitals
Beside her engagements at opera houses, Müller frequently sings in recitals and oratorios. Sponsoring by Südwestrundfunk in the SWR2 New Talent Program from 2013 to 2015 gave her the opportunity to reach a broad audience with the audio transmissions of two song recitals. One of them was her debut at Schwetzinger Festspiele, together with the pianist Juliane Ruf, on 26 May 2013.
In October 2014 she sang the soprano solo in Ein deutsches Requiem by Johannes Brahms in a performance transmitted by 3sat together with the WDR Symphony Orchestra and Jukka-Pekka Saraste. In China she was featured by Staatskapelle Dresden during their concert tour in November 2015, singing the soprano part of the Symphony No. 4 by Gustav Mahler. In March 2016 she debuted with Four Last Songs by Richard Strauss in concerts of the Orquesta Sinfónica del Principado de Asturias at Bilbao (Spain) and with the WDR Symphony Orchestra at Viersen and Duisburg. In the opening concert of Salzburg Festival 2016 she sang the soprano part (Gabriel and Eva) in The Creation by Joseph Haydn, and in the season opening concert at Philharmonie de Paris in September 2016 she debuted as Gretchen in Szenen aus Goethes Faust by Robert Schumann. On 11 January 2017 she replaced at short notice the indisposed Camilla Tilling at the opening concert of the Elbphilharmonie Hamburg for in the fourth movement of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9.
Müller performed the following roles in well-renowned opera houses:
- Berta (Il Barbiere di Siviglia), Bavarian State Opera, Munich
- Donna Anna (Don Giovanni), Teatro alla Scala, Milano
- Donna Clara (Der Zwerg), Bavarian State Opera, Munich
- Eurydice (Orfeo ed Euridice), Kammeroper Schloss Rheinsberg, Germany
- Gretel (Hänsel und Gretel), Bavarian State Opera, Munich
- Ilia (Idomeneo), Zürich Opera House
- Marzelline (Fidelio), Bavarian State Opera, Munich; Metropolitan Opera, New York
- Pamina (Die Zauberflöte), Teatro dell'opera di Roma; Bavarian State Opera, Munich; Royal Festival Hall, London (concert staging)
- Prinzessin (L'enfant et les sortilèges), Bavarian State Opera, Munich
- Servilia (La clemenza di Tito), Bavarian State Opera, Munich
- Sophie (Der Rosenkavalier), De Nederlandse Opera, Amsterdam; Bavarian State Opera, Munich
- Sophie (Werther), Bavarian State Opera, Munich
- Susanna (Le nozze di Figaro), Bavarian State Opera, Munich
- Woglinde (Das Rheingold, Götterdämmerung), Bavarian State Opera, Munich
- Zdenka (Arabella), Großes Festspielhaus, Salzburg; Semperoper, Dresden; Bavarian State Opera, Munich
- Zerlina (Don Giovanni), Bavarian State Opera, Munich
Her concert repertoire includes the soprano parts of numerous oratorios and masses als well as orchestral songs and concert arias from Baroque to Late Romanticism, for example The Creation and the Missa in angustiis (Nelsonmesse) by Joseph Haydn, the Missa Solemnis by Ludwig van Beethoven, the fifth movement "Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit" of A German Requiem by Johannes Brahms, the fourth movement of the 4th Symphony by Gustav Mahler, songs by Franz Schubert as orchestrated by Felix Mottl, Seven Early Songs by Alban Berg and Four Last Songs by Richard Strauss.
- Mass No. 3 in f minor by Anton Bruckner, Hanna-Elisabeth Müller, Anke Vondung, Dominik Wortig, Franz-Josef Selig, Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Bamberger Symphoniker, Robin Ticciati. Tudor, April 2014.
- "Traumgekrönt"; songs by Richard Strauss, Arnold Schönberg and Alban Berg. Hanna-Elisabeth Müller, soprano; Juliane Ruf, piano. Belvedere, June 2017.
- Gustav Mahler, Symphony No. 4 in G major. Hanna-Elisabeth Müller, Soprano; Duisburger Symphoniker, Ádám Fischer. CAvi, August 2017.
- Richard Strauss, Der Rosenkavalier. Hanna-Elisabeth Müller as Sophie, Camilla Nylund as Marschallin, Paula Murrihy as Oktavian, Peter Rose as Baron Ochs von Lerchenau. Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra, Marc Albrecht. Live recording of September 2015, Challenge Classics, September 2017.
- Richard Strauss: Arabella. Live recording of Salzburg Easter Festival 2014 with Hanna-Elisabeth Müller as Zdenka, Renée Fleming as Arabella, Thomas Hampson as Mandryka, Daniel Behle as Matteo. Stage director: Florentine Klepper. Sächsischer Staatsopernchor and Staatskapelle Dresden under the direction of Christian Thielemann. Unitel Classica, September 2014.
- Johannes Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem. Live recording of a concert in Stift St. Florian, August 2016, with Hanna-Elisabeth Müller, soprano, Simon Keenlyside, baritone, the Cleveland Orchestra and the Wiener Singverein conducted by Franz Welser-Möst. Concorde, January 2017.
- Inauguration concert of the Elbphilharmonie, Hamburg. Hanna-Elisabeth Müller as the soprano soloist in the fourth movement of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9. NDR Elbphilharmonie Orchester under the baton of Thomas Hengelbrock. CMajor, June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hanna-Elisabeth Müller.|
- Website of Hanna-Elisabeth Müller
- Official biography of Hanna-Elisabeth Müller on the website of her agency (KünstlerSekretariat am Gasteig, Munich)
- "Portrait on the page of Ada Sari International Vocal Art Competition (in Polish)" (PDF).
- "Erfolgsgeschichten (statements of former students)". Bühne frei, Speyer, Germany. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- Interview with Hanna-Elisabeth Müller, 15 July 2014, Münchner Merkur
- Video document of participation in the master class of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Mai 2009
- Webseite der Musikhochschule Mannheim: Biografie von Mihaela Tomi
- Preisträgerportrait im Portal des Kulturkreises der deutschen Wirtschaft
- Hanna-Elisabeth Müller erhält Musikpreis des Kulturkreises der deutschen Wirtschaft, Neue Musikzeitung, 20 September 2010]
- Video report of the competition "Ton und Erklärung" 2010 in Kaiserslautern
- University of Music Mannheim, Preise und Auszeichnungen Frühjahrsemster 2011
- Premierenkritik Orpheus und Eurydike in Rheinsberg, Tagesspiegel, 8 April 2010
- Premierenankündigung Zauberflöte in Gera, November 2011
- Audio and photo document of debut of Hanna-Elisabeth Müller at Teatro dell'Opera di Roma
- Video excerpt of Stars de Demain with Rolando Villazon, 22 December 2013
- Biography of Hanna-Elisabeth Müller, Bavarian State Opera]
- Review Werther, Der Neue Merker
- Review of Fidelio performance on 10 February 10 2016 in Munich (in Spanish)
- Review of Arabella at Bavarian State Opera, Munich, 17 Juli 2015, The New York Times
- "Short review Munich Opera Festival: Der Rosenkavalier". Süddeutsche Zeitung. 15 July 2016.
- Gesellschaft Freunde der Künste, 1 August 2013]
- Bericht im Salzburger ORF-Portal vom 13. April 2014
- Portrait von Hanna-Elisabeth Müller in den Salzburger Nachrichten vom 17. April 2014
- Kritikerumfrage 2014 der Zeitschrift Opernwelt
- Kritik über die Dresdner Arabella, November 2014 in Der Neue Merker, Vienna
- Announcement of Rosenkavalier for September 2015 by De Nederlandse Opera Amsterdam
- "Review: Spruce and Taut, the Met Opera's Fidelio Looks Good at 17" by Anthony Tommasini, The New York Times, 17 March 2017
- Gandetto, Pietro (May 7, 2017). "Chi son io tu non saprai (Review of Don Giovanni at La Scala on May 6, 2017)". L'Ape musicale (in Italian). Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- Kübler, Susanne (2018-02-06). "Ein Trauma namens Neptun (opening night review of Idomeneo at Zürich)". Tages-Anzeiger, Zürich (in German). Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- Vorstellung von Hanna-Elisabeth Müller im Portal des SWR
- Review in www.lokalmatador.de
- Review of concert by Staatskapelle Dresden at Shanghai, 9 November 2015; CRI online in German language
- Gran éxito del trompista Monte de Fez y la OSPA en el festival Musika-Música (Announcement of concert) (in Spanish)
- Müllers makelloser Schöngesang (Review of the concert by WDR Symphony Orchestra at Duisburg on March 11, 2016), in RP online
- Review of the concert by WDR Symphony Orchestra at Duisburg on March 12, 2016, in RP online
- "Review of opening concert of Salzburg Festival, Drehpunkt Kultur, Salzburg, 24 July 2016".
- Clément Taillia (2016-09-20). "Faust avoué... Szenen aus Goethes Faust, Schumann - Paris (Philharmonie)" (in French). Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- da Fonseca-Wollheim, Corinna (2017-01-13). "Review: The First Concert at the New Elbphilharmonie in Germany". The New York Times. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- Review: The Magic Flute @ Royal Festival Hall, London; musicOMH, May 10, 2016
- Augsburger Allgemeine, Review as of Mach 30, 2015
- Review of a performance of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis with the RIAS-Kammerchor, Der Tagesspiegel, 3 January 2012
- Albrecht, Dieter (2012-01-27). "2. "Dialoge"-Konzert in der Gothaer Margarethenkirche". Thüringer Allgemeine (in German). Retrieved 2017-05-07.
- Albrecht, Klaus (2016-09-24). "Eine sinfonische Großtat". Der Westen (in German). Retrieved 2017-05-07.