Mayfield Township, Grand Traverse County, Michigan
|Mayfield Township, Michigan|
|• Total||36.1 sq mi (93.4 km2)|
|• Land||35.9 sq mi (93.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,096 ft (334 m)|
|• Density||35.4/sq mi (13.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626712|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.1 square miles (93.4 km²), of which 35.9 square miles (93.0 km²) is land and 0.2 square mile (0.4 km²) (0.44%) is water.
- Bartlett, a small town in the western part of the township ( ).
- Buckley, a village that straddles the border with Wexford County.
- Hannah, a small town in the eastern part of the township ( ).
- Harrand, a ghost town just north of Bartlett ( ).
- Kingsley, a village in Paradise Township to the east.
- Mayfield, a small town in northern Paradise Township.
- Rahe, a small town in the northeastern part of the township ( ).
- Traverse City, a city north of the township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,271 people, 439 households, and 338 families residing in the township. The population density was 35.4 per square mile (13.7/km²). There were 480 housing units at an average density of 13.4 per square mile (5.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.88% White, 0.39% African American, 0.79% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, and 0.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.47% of the population.
There were 439 households out of which 36.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.2% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.8% were non-families. 17.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.88 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the township the population was spread out with 29.3% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 31.0% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 8.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 108.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $40,820, and the median income for a family was $44,464. Males had a median income of $31,250 versus $19,844 for females. The per capita income for the township was $15,755. About 6.5% of families and 8.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.0% of those under age 18 and 9.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Mayfield Township, Grand Traverse County, Michigan