Hannah Lux Davis
Hannah Lux Davis
|Occupation||Music video director, director, makeup artist, editor|
Hannah Lux Davis is an American music video director known for working with artists such as Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj, David Guetta, Demi Lovato, Hailee Steinfeld, Kacey Musgraves, Fifth Harmony, Little Mix, Jessie J, Anne-Marie, Bebe Rexha, and Lil Wayne.
Davis was born and raised in Bellevue, Washington. In high school, she was diagnosed with exophoria, which hindered her ability to read and write. She left Seattle for Los Angeles at age 18, where she enrolled in the New York Film Academy, and the Los Angeles Film School a year later. For her final projects, she made music videos, and decided to pursue a career in the music video industry. Davis graduated from the Los Angeles Film School in 2006, and went into music video production. She worked for a time as a makeup artist after attending Cinema Makeup School in order to get on the sets of music videos, commercials, and feature films, and began making music videos in her spare time, paying the budgets out of her own pocket. The first video she was paid to direct was for Twin Atlantic in 2010. She has referenced Floria Sigismondi and Sophie Muller as two of her influences.
Awards & honors
|2013||MTV Video Music Award for Best Hip-Hop Video||"Love Me" by Lil Wayne (featuring Drake & Future)||Won|||
|2014||MTV Video Music Award for Artist to Watch||"Miss Movin' On" by Fifth Harmony||Won|
|2015||MTV Video Music Award for Best Collaboration||"Bang Bang" by Jessie J, Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj||Nominated|||
|"Love Me Harder" by Ariana Grande & The Weeknd||Nominated|
|2016||MTV Video Music Award for Best Female Video||"Into You" by Ariana Grande||Nominated|||
|MTV Video Music Award for Best Pop Video||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Award for Best Editing||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Award for Best Cinematography||Nominated|
|2017||iHeartRadio Music Award for Best Music Video||"Side to Side" by Ariana Grande (featuring Nicki Minaj)||Nominated|||
|MTV Video Music Award for Best Choreography||Nominated|||
Music video director
- Wisel, Carlye (February 25, 2015). "Meet Hannah Lux Davis, the 28-Year-Old Director Ruling the Music Video World". Racked. Retrieved August 19, 2015.
- Wood Rudulph, Heather (August 15, 2016). "Get That Life: How I Became a Music Video Director". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- "Miley Cyrus, Lil' Wayne Music Video Director Celebrates Recent Win At The 2014 VMA's". PR Newswire. September 9, 2014. Retrieved August 19, 2015.
- Shaffer, Claire (13 November 2018). "'Breathin' Director Hannah Lux Davis on the 'Wild West' of Music Videos and Working With Ariana Grande: 'I'm in Awe of Her'". Billboard. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "Awards". London Alley. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "2015 VMA Nominations: Get The Full List Now". Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Beyonce Rules MTV Video Music Awards Nominations". Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "2017 iHeartRadio Music Awards: Complete List of Nominations". E! Online. January 3, 2017.
- Thorpe, Isha (March 5, 2017). "Here's The Complete List Of #iHeartAwards Winners". iHeartRadio. Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- Fekadu, Mesfin (July 25, 2017). "Kendrick Lamar is leader of MTV VMAs with 8 nominations". Associated Press. Retrieved July 29, 2017.