Hannah Point is a point on the south coast of Livingston Island in the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. It forms the east side of the entrance to Walker Bay and the west side of the entrance to South Bay. Surmounted by Ustra Peak to the north, with Liverpool Beach extending between the peak and the tip of Hannah Point. Ice-free area ca. 122 hectares (300 acres). The area was visited by early 19th century sealers operating from Johnsons Dock.
Among the birds that make their home here are the gentoo and macaroni penguins as well as kelp gulls. Southern giant petrels nest here as do blue-eyed shags, skuas, and snowy sheathbills. Southern elephant seals and Antarctic fur seals are among the larger life forms observed at the point.
Hannah Point is one of the most popular Antarctic tourist sites frequented by cruise ships.
The geographical feature is named after the British sealing vessel Hannah wrecked in the vicinity in 1820 while operating in the South Shetlands.
The point is located at Elephant Point, 8.16 km west-southwest of Ereby Point, 12.36 km west-southwest of Hespérides Point and 11.76 km northwest of Miers Bluff (British mapping in 1821, 1962 and 1968, Argentine in 1959 and 1980, Chilean in 1971, Spanish in 1991, and Bulgarian in 2005 and 2009).which is 13.95 km northeast of
- L.L. Ivanov et al. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. Scale 1:100000 topographic map. Sofia: Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria, 2005.
- L.L. Ivanov. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich, Robert, Snow and Smith Islands. Scale 1:120000 topographic map. Troyan: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2010. ISBN 978-954-92032-9-5 (First edition 2009. ISBN 978-954-92032-6-4)
- Hannah Point, Livingston Island. Oceanites.
- SCAR Composite Antarctic Gazetteer.
- Ivanov, L. General Geography and History of Livingston Island. In: Bulgarian Antarctic Research: A Synthesis. Eds. C. Pimpirev and N. Chipev. Sofia: St. Kliment Ohridski University Press, 2015. pp. 17-28. ISBN 978-954-07-3939-7
|This Livingston Island location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|