|Yang Berhormat Puan Speaker
Hannah Yeoh Tseow Suan
Hannah Yeoh in 2013
|Speaker of Selangor State Legislative Assembly|
21 June 2013
|Preceded by||Teng Chang Khim (DAP)|
|Member of the Selangor State Assembly
for Subang Jaya
8 March 2008
|Preceded by||Lee Hwa Beng|
9 January 1979 |
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
|Political party||DAP – Pakatan Harapan|
|Alma mater||University of Tasmania|
Hannah Yeoh Tseow Suan (simplified Chinese: 杨巧双; traditional Chinese: 楊巧雙; pinyin: Yáng Qiǎo Shuāng; born 9 January 1979) is the current Speaker and a member of the Selangor State Assembly from the Democratic Action Party (DAP).
Yeoh was influenced into politics by her friend, Edward Ling. Yeoh, a former lawyer and event manager, won the N31 Subang Jaya state seat against Ong Chong Swen from MCA, a Barisan Nasional component party in the 2008 election. Yeoh was preceded by the previous State Assemblyman Datuk Lee Hwa Beng (of Barisan Nasional), who decided to run for Parliament in the 2008 general elections.
On 13th general election, Hannah Yeoh was re-elected as Subang Jaya state assembly member defeating Gan Meng Foo from MCA, Barisan Nasional.
On 21 June 2013, Hannah Yeoh was elected and sworn in as Malaysia's first woman speaker for Selangor State Assembly. At the age of 34 she is also the youngest speaker of any legislative Assembly in Malaysia.
Hannah Yeoh had listed several concerns as part of her pre-election campaign.:
- Apprehensive of personal safety when moving about in the neighbourhood.
- Safety of property in view of rising crime rate.
MPSJ Draft Local Plan
- Development plans currently lack residents' interest as primary consideration.
High density development
- Projects being approved within close proximity without due consideration to factors such as car parks, traffic congestion and preserving the natural environment.
Traffic & Parking
- Traffic congestion both at main roads and commercial areas.
- Alignment of LRT line and bus routes.
Better Management of funds
- Funds being used for projects which do not significantly benefit the residents.
Environment & Recreation
- Lack of recreation areas especially for families with children living in flats, apartments and condominiums.
- Preservation of green lung areas.
Hannah Yeoh is married to Ramanchandran Muniandy with whom she has two daughters, Shay Adora Ram and Kayleigh Imani Ram.
|2008||Hannah Yeoh (DAP)||23,459||70.94%||Ong Chong Suan (MCA)||9,608||29.06%||33,067||13,851||79.31%|
|2013||Hannah Yeoh (DAP)||40,366||76.09%||Gan Meng Foo (MCA)||12,297||23.17%||53,052||28,069||86.0%|
Notes and references
- "Billi takes defeat in his stride.", The Star, 10 March 2008. Retrieved on 2008-06-27.
- Lourdes, Mark. "'Handyman' wants to move.", New Straits Times (Hosted on Lee Hwa Beng's Blog), 13 February 2008. Retrieved on 2008-06-27.
- Hannah Yeoh sworn in as state Speaker
- "Pre-election concerns by Hannah Yeoh." , SJ Echo, 2 April 2008. Retrieved on 27 June 2008 Archived 16 April 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Hannah Yeaoh:My Profile". Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Malaysian Election Data". Malaysiakini. Retrieved 12 May 2013. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|