||This article needs attention from an expert in History of Science, Sexology and sexuality or Gender Studies. (November 2008)|
Hanne Blank, by Hanne Blank
February 25, 1969 |
Northampton, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Occupation||historian, writer, editor, public speaker, activist|
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Genre||speculative fiction (short stories), non-fiction & fiction (books)|
|Subject||history of science, history of medicine, virginity, sexuality|
Hanne Blank (February 25, 1969) Born in Northampton, Massachusetts, U.S., Hanne Blank is a historian, writer, editor and public speaker. She has also edited and written erotica but is retired from that genre. Blank believes in civil rights in general and fat rights in particular. She says: "For me, as a progressive feminist, opposing the whole range of physical-body-based prejudices and stigmas is all of a piece. Fatness and fat rights happen to be two of my personal issues, so it's a topic I can speak to from the inside. But fat politics are not separate from my overall politics of inclusion and human value."
Hanne Blank grew up in the greater Cleveland, Ohio area, became a classically trained musician and then a formally educated historian. As an independent scholar, her most recent post was as the 2004-2005 Scholar of the Institute For Teaching and Research on Women at Towson University, Maryland.
Ms. Blank is a former co-editor of Scarletletters.com (online "publisher of sex-positive, original, visionary creative and artistic work of all kinds") and Scarleteen.com with Heather Corinna. She is a former associate editor of Sojourner: The Women's Forum, and has also written sex columns for The Boston Phoenix and Good Vibes Magazine.
As an instructor (prior to becoming a full-time writer/editor), she taught at the university level at Brandeis University, Tufts University and Whitworth College. As a musician, she was a Fellow of the Boston University Tanglewood Institute and was the 1991 recipient of the George Whitefield Chadwick medal for work as a proponent of contemporary art music.
Her most recent book, the first revision of her 2000 title Big Big Love: A Sex and Relationships Guide for People of Size (and Those Who Love Them), was published by Celestial Arts in September, 2011.
- Zaftig: Well-Rounded Erotica. Cleis Press, 2001. ISBN 1-57344-122-8 ISBN 978-1-57344-122-3
- Shameless: Women's Intimate Erotica. Seal Press, 2002. ISBN 1-58005-060-3 ISBN 978-1-58005-060-9
- Best Transgender Erotica. (Co-edited with Raven Kaldera) Circlet Press, 2002. ISBN 1-885865-40-6 ISBN 978-1-885865-40-3
- Unruly Appetites. Seal Press, 2003. ISBN 978-1-58005-081-4
- Coral's Pocket, Other Magazine, June, 2004.
- In the Rainy Season, Reflection's Edge, July, 2005.
- Mrs. Charles' Bookshop, Reflection's Edge, November, 2006.
- Big, Big Love: A Sourcebook on Sex for People of Size and Those Who Love Them. Greenery Press, 2000. ISBN 1-890159-16-6 ISBN 978-1-890159-16-0
- Virgin: The Untouched History Bloomsbury USA, 2007. ISBN 1-59691-010-0 ISBN 978-1-59691-010-2
- Straight: The Surprisingly Short History of Heterosexuality. Beacon, 2012. ISBN 9780807044438
- Don't Hate Me Because I'm Cute, City Paper, September 10, 2003.
- Transfeminism: Let Her Rip, In These Times, April 21, 2004.
- Verisimilitude and the Competent Con: Research for Fiction, Reflection's Edge, December, 2005.
- One on One - with Hanne Blank, Pif Magazine, April 2000.
- Interview with Hanne Blank, Advocates for Youth, June 22, 2001.
- The oy of sex, New Voices, 2002?
- 20 Questions about Virginity: Scarleteen Interviews Hanne Blank, Scarleteen, 2005?
- Three Quick Questions: Hanne Blank, Big Fat Blog, July 12, 2005.
- "The Invention of the Heterosexual", Salon, January 22, 2012.
Interviews of others
- Hanne Blank Interviews Author S. Bear Bergman About Hir New Book Butch is a Noun , Suspect Thoughts Press, 2006.
- JHU Feminist Association Love Your Body Day 2003
- Take Back the Night March, April 28, 2005, University of Delaware (address)
- Dangerous Books, October 11, 2005, Women's National Book Association, New York City Chapter
- 2004-2005 Scholar of the Institute For Teaching and Research on Women at Towson University, Maryland.
- See her blog entry about her retirement for more information.
- "Three Quick Questions: Hanne Blank". Big Fat Blog. Retrieved Mar 2013. Check date values in:
- See her biography page from her official web site and The Naughty Professor article from the City Paper, February 12, 2003.
- See Library of Congress Contributor biographical information for Virgin: The Untouched History.
- See her artist in residence page and current right side-bar text.
- Question 11 of Interview with Hanne Blank, Advocates for Youth, June 26, 2001 refers to this work.
- See her biography page from her official web site.
- See web page for back issues, Other Magazine.
- "Artists in Residence: Hanne Blank". Scarlet Letters. Retrieved 2007-03-16.
- Blank, Hanne (2006-09-28). "Filling a Much-Needed Void :: on My Retirement, or Something Like It.". Archived from the original on 2006-12-02. Retrieved 2007-03-16.
- Blank, Hanne (2006). "Hanne Blank Dot Com". Retrieved 2007-03-16.
- Skurnick, Lizzie (2003-02-12). "The Naughty Professor: Writer of Smut and Champion of Porn, Hanne Blank is Baltimore's Grande Dame of Erotica.". City Paper Online. Retrieved 2007-03-16.
- "Contributor Biographical Information for Library of Congress Control Number 2006017172.". Library of Congress. 2006. Retrieved 2007-03-16.
- Melissa (2001-06-22). "Interview with Hanne Blank.". Advocates for Youth. Archived from the original on 2006-10-05. Retrieved 2007-03-16.