Hanne Gaby Odiele
Hanne Gaby Odiele
|Born||8 October 1988|
|Spouse(s)||John Swiatek (m. 2016)|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Agency||Women Management (New York, Paris, Milan) |
The Squad (London)
Dominique Models (Brussels)
UNIQUE DENMARK (Copenhagen)
Place Models (Hamburg)
MP Stockholm (Stockholm)
Donna Models (Tokyo)
Hanne Gaby Odiele (born 8 October 1988) is a Belgian model.
As a child, Odiele underwent medical procedures relating to their intersex variation, which they said took place without their or their parents' informed consent. Odiele was told about their intersex variation weeks before beginning their modelling career.
Odiele was noticed by Tom Van Dorpe while attending the Novarock rock festival in Kortrijk, Belgium. In 2005, Odiele signed with Supreme Management in New York City. In September, Odiele made their debut on the runways, walking for Marc by Marc Jacobs, Rodarte, Ruffian, and Thakoon in New York. In 2006, they appeared in features for Vogue and became the face of Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti.
In December 2006, Odiele was hit by a car that ran a red light, breaking their legs. After multiple surgeries and several months of intense physical therapy, Odiele was back on the catwalk in Spring and Fall 2008 shows, walking for Chanel, Givenchy, Prada, and others.
Odiele has been in magazines such Vogue Italia, Marie Claire, Teen Vogue, and Elle. Odiele has appeared on the cover of Vogue and French Revue de Modes. Odiele has booked some of the industry's most lucrative campaigns, including those for Mulberry, Balenciaga, Anna Sui, Vera Wang, and DKNY Jeans.
Odiele is currently represented by Women Management  in New York, Milan and Paris.
After publicly disclosing their intersex status in 2017, Odiele partnered with interACT to advocate for intersex human rights. In the same year, in interviews with The Times and Dazed, Odiele described their identity as an intersex woman, and their desire for an intersex community. In 2019, Odiele came out as non-binary in Flemish newspaper De Morgen. Odiele uses they/them pronouns.
- FMD Profile
- Miller, Susan (23 January 2017). "Model Hanne Gaby Odiele Reveals She Is Intersex". USA Today.
- "Model Hanne Gaby Odiele reveals she is intersex to 'break taboo'". BBC News. 24 January 2017.
- "International Fashion Model Hanne Gaby Odiele Reveals She Is Intersex; Announces Partnership with interACT Advocates for Intersex Youth to Raise Awareness About the Importance of Human Rights Protections for Intersex People Worldwide" (PDF). interACT. 23 January 2017.
- Faye, Shon; Balzary, Clare; Wyman, Emma; Jawara; Sobol, Susie; Shelley, Noah (2017). "Hanne Gaby Odiele". Dazed (250). Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- "Hanne Gaby Odiele. Model Profile". New York Magazine.
- Andrew Bevan. "Hanne Gaby Odiele". Teen Vogue.
- Frenchrevue.com Covers
- "Anna Sui S/S 11". models.com. Models.com. 2011. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- "Inside Hanne Gaby Odiele's Chinatown Apartment 3". Front Row View. 11 July 2011. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- Pavia, Will (22 April 2017). "My life as an intersex supermodel". The Times.
- "Hanne Gaby Odiele, model: 'Ik ben geen man. Ik ben geen vrouw. Ik ben Hanne. Eindelijk'". De Morgen.
- Hall, Jake. "Hanne Gaby Odiele". Collection Issue. Retrieved 15 April 2021.
- Hanne Gaby Odiele on Instagram
- Hanne Gaby Odiele at Fashion Model Directory
- Kessler, Greg (20 February 2009). "Model-morphosis: Hanne Gaby Odile". The New York Times.
- Nelson, Karin (19 April 2009). "That Crazy Village Girl. Hanne Gaby Odiele, model". The New York Times.
- Kelsey, Colleen (10 July 2013). "Who's That Girl: Hanne Gaby Odiele". Interview.
- Lim, James (3 September 2014). "Model Hanne Gaby Odiele Explains the Secret Behind Her Trademark Cool Street Style". Vogue.
- Lakner, Max (10 April 2015). "Hanne Gaby Odiele Wants You to Destroy Her New Line of Shoes". Vanity Fair.
- Romeyn, Kathryn (11 September 2015). "This Is Where Model Hanne Gaby Odiele Eats in New York". Hollywood Reporter.