Hanne Gaby Odiele
Hanne Gaby Odiele
Odiele in 2019
|Born||8 October 1988|
|Spouse(s)||John Swiatek (m. 2016)|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Agency||Women Management (New York, Paris, Milan) |
The Squad (London)
Dominique Models (Brussels)
UNIQUE DENMARK (Copenhagen)
Place Models (Hamburg)
MP Stockholm (Stockholm)
Donna Models (Tokyo) 
Hanne Gaby Odiele (born 8 October 1988) is a Belgian model.
Hanne Gaby Odiele was born on 8 October 1988 in Kortrijk, Belgium. She was born intersex as a result of androgen insensitivity syndrome, meaning she was born in a female habitus (external body) despite her DNA and internal gonads being male; her cells do not respond to the male hormones that her DNA causes her gonads to produce.
As a child, she underwent medical procedures relating to her condition, which she said took place without her or her parents' informed consent. She was told about her intersex condition weeks before beginning her modelling career.
Odiele was noticed by Tom Van Dorpe while attending the Novarock rock festival in Kortrijk, Belgium. In 2005, she signed with Supreme Management in New York City. In September she made her debut on the runways, walking for Marc by Marc Jacobs, Rodarte, Ruffian, and Thakoon in New York. In 2006, she appeared in features for Vogue and became the face of Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti.
In December 2006, she was hit by a car that ran a red light, breaking her legs. After multiple surgeries and several months of intense physical therapy, she was back on the catwalk in Spring and Fall 2008 shows, walking for Chanel, Givenchy, Prada, and others.
Odiele has been in magazines such Vogue Italia, Marie Claire, Teen Vogue, and Elle. She has appeared on the cover of Vogue and French Revue de Modes. She has booked some of the industry's most lucrative campaigns, including those for Mulberry, Balenciaga, Anna Sui, Vera Wang, and DKNY Jeans.
After publicly disclosing her intersex status in 2017, Odiele partnered with interACT to advocate for intersex human rights. In interviews with The Times and Dazed, Odiele has described her identity as an intersex woman, and her desire for an intersex community.
- FMD Profile
- Miller, Susan (23 January 2017). "Model Hanne Gaby Odiele reveals she is intersex". USA Today.
- "Model Hanne Gaby Odiele reveals she is intersex to 'break taboo'". BBC News. 24 January 2017.
- "International Fashion Model Hanne Gaby Odiele Reveals She is Intersex; Announces Partnership with interACT Advocates for Intersex Youth to Raise Awareness About the Importance of Human Rights Protections for Intersex People Worldwide" (PDF). interACT. 23 January 2017.
- Faye, Shon; Balzary, Clare; Wyman, Emma; Jawara; Sobol, Susie; Shelley, Noah (2017). "Hanne Gaby Odiele". Dazed (250).
- "Hanne Gaby Odiele. Model Profile". New York Magazine.
- Andrew Bevan. "Hanne Gaby Odiele". Teen Vogue.
- Frenchrevue.com Covers
- "Anna Sui S/S 11". models.com. Models.com. 2011. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- "Inside Hanne Gaby Odiele's Chinatown Apartment 3". Front Row View. 11 July 2011.
- "My life as an intersex supermodel". The Times. 22 April 2017.
- Hanne Gaby Odiele at Fashion Model Directory
- "Hanne Gaby Odiele homepage". Supermodels.
- Kessler, Greg (20 February 2009). "Model-morphosis: Hanne Gaby Odile". The New York Times.
- Nelson, Karin (19 April 2009). "That Crazy Village Girl. Hanne Gaby Odiele, model". The New York Times.
- Kelsey, Colleen (10 July 2013). "Who's That Girl: Hanne Gaby Odiele". Interview.
- Lim, James (3 September 2014). "Model Hanne Gaby Odiele Explains the Secret Behind Her Trademark Cool Street Style". Vogue.
- Lakner, Max (10 April 2015). "Hanne Gaby Odiele Wants You to Destroy Her New Line of Shoes". Vanity Fair.
- Romeyn, Kathryn (11 September 2015). "This Is Where Model Hanne Gaby Odiele Eats In New York". Hollywood Reporter.