Buress in July 2012
Hannibal Amir Buress
February 4, 1983
|Residence||Wicker Park, Illinois, U.S.|
Hannibal Amir Buress (//, born February 4, 1983) is an American comedian, actor, writer, and producer. He started performing comedy in 2002 while attending Southern Illinois University. He has co-starred on Adult Swim's The Eric Andre Show since 2012 and was featured on Comedy Central's Broad City from 2014-2019.
Hannibal Amir Buress was born in Chicago, Illinois, on February 4, 1983, the son of teacher Margaret and Union Pacific Railroad employee John Buress. He was raised in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago. He was named after Carthaginian General Hannibal Barca, and has told stories in his stand-up act about his name causing women to turn him down because of its association with fictional cannibal Hannibal Lecter. After attending Steinmetz College Prep, he attended Southern Illinois University Carbondale but did not graduate, where he became friends with hip hop artist Open Mike Eagle, his RA at the time.
Buress began his stand-up career at an open mic in 2002. He has been featured in The Awkward Comedy Show special on Comedy Central, and alongside comics Baron Vaughn, Eric André, Marina Franklin, and Victor Varnado, and on the FX sitcom Louie. He currently co-stars as Eric Andre's sidekick on The Eric Andre Show on Adult Swim. In July 2010, Buress made Variety magazine's "Ten Comics to Watch in 2010" list.
His first stand-up comedy album My Name is Hannibal was released on July 27, 2010.
Buress was a writer on Saturday Night Live from 2009 to 2010. He left having had only one of his sketches aired. In September 2010, he began writing for the fifth season of the NBC comedy series 30 Rock. He quit after six months.
He released his second album, Animal Furnace, in 2012, which also aired as a special on Comedy Central. The album received positive reviews.
His stand-up comedy has been featured on Comedy Central programs such as Live at Gotham and John Oliver's New York Stand-Up Show. He has also performed on several late night talkshows such as The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, Lopez Tonight, Russell Howard's Good News, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Late Show with David Letterman, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell, and Conan. Additionally, he performed a set at the 2012 Secret Policeman's Ball at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.
An hourlong Comedy Central show, Hannibal Buress Live from Chicago, aired on March 29, 2014.
Bill Cosby routine
On October 16, 2014, at the Philadelphia club The Trocadero, Buress was recorded doing an extended routine about existing rape allegations against comedian Bill Cosby. Buress addressed Cosby's legacy of "talk[ing] down" to young black men about their style of dress and lifestyle. Buress criticized the actor's public moralizing by saying, "Yeah, but you raped women, Bill Cosby, so that kind of brings you down a couple notches." The audience appeared to respond to Buress's accusation with incredulity; he encouraged everyone to search for "Bill Cosby rape" when they got home.
Buress had been doing the same Cosby routine for the previous six months with little response, but the October performance went viral after being posted on Philadelphia magazine's website. A media firestorm ensued, with numerous publications tackling the question of how Cosby had managed to maintain, as Buress called it in his set, a "Teflon image" despite more than a decade of public sex-abuse accusations.
Comedian Eddie Murphy later referenced Buress's role in the allegations coming to light while impersonating Cosby during his 2015 Mark Twain Prize for American Humor acceptance speech, mockingly playing Cosby as threatening Buress' life.
In December 2017, Buress was arrested in Miami for disorderly intoxication. Bystander footage of the arrest showed Buress mocking the police officers and demanding to know why he was being arrested. The arrest report revealed that Buress was detained because he approached the police officers and would not stop asking them to call an Uber for him. Buress later stated, "I asked the [officer] to call me an Uber, and he said, 'No.' He told me to leave the street. I go into this bar to get a phone charger for an Uber. He follows me into the bar, and told me I'm too drunk to go inside. [...] 'If I can't be on the street, where do you want me to be?' I ask him. I was in a state of trying to get home. [...] I don't really believe I was at fault." The case was later dismissed.
The Miami New Times reported that the arresting officer has an alleged history of violence and was previously disciplined by internal affairs for an alcohol-fueled assault. This report was cited by Buress as part of a televized stand-up routine at the Olympia Theater in Miami in August, 2019.
|2011||Heart Break||Darryl||Short film|
|2012||Sleepwalk with Me||Hannibal||Uncredited|
|2013||The Kings of Summer||Bus Driver|
|2013||'Fester's Feast'||Milk Man|
|2014||The Begun of Tigtone||Seed Steed (voice)||Short film|
|2014||Are You Joking?||Kenny|
|2015||Band of Robbers||Ben Rogers|
|2016||Nerdland||Nerd King (voice)|
|2016||Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising||Officer Watkins|
|2016||The Angry Birds Movie||Edward the Birthday Dad (voice)|
|2016||The Nice Guys||Bumble|
|2016||Flock of Dudes||Pussypop|
|2016||The Secret Life of Pets||Buddy (voice)|
|2017||The Disaster Artist||Bill Meurer|
|2017||Baywatch||Dave the Tech|
|2017||Spider-Man: Homecoming||Coach Wilson|
|2019||The Secret Life of Pets 2||Buddy (voice)|
|2009–2010||Saturday Night Live||Michael / Airplane Passenger||2 episodes|
|2010||Delocated||Comedian #2||Episode: "Kim's Krafts"|
|2010–2012||30 Rock||Hannibal / Bum / Homeless Guy / Gus||9 episodes|
|2012–present||The Eric Andre Show||Himself (co-host)||Also writer and producer|
|2012||8 Out of 10 Cats||Himself (guest / contestant)||Series 13, Episode 2 (4 May 2012)|
|2013||The Mindy Project||Derek||Episode: "Bunk Bed"|
|2013||Kroll Show||Basketball Player||Episode: "Dine & Dash"|
|2013||High Maintenance||Hannibal||Episode: "Jonathan"|
|2013||Bob's Burgers||Hefty Jeff (voice)||Episode: "My Big Fat Greek Bob"|
|2013–2015||Lucas Bros. Moving Co.||Momma Lucas (Voice)||7 episodes|
|2013–2015||China, IL||Matt Attack / DJ Don Jose / Street Troll (voice)||9 episodes|
|2014||Chozen||Crisco (voice)||10 episodes|
|2014–2019||Broad City||Lincoln Rice||20 episodes|
|2015||The Comedy Central Roast of Justin Bieber||Himself|
|2015||Why? with Hannibal Buress||Himself (host)||Also creator and executive producer|
|2015||The Jim Gaffigan Show||Himself||Episode: "Maria"|
|2016||Childrens Hospital||Himself||Episode: "Kids Hospital"|
|2016||Adventure Time||Flame Prince (voice)||Episode: "Five Short Tables"|
|2016||Easy||Jason||Episode: "Hop Dreams"|
|2016–2017||High Maintenance||Comedian||2 episodes|
|2017||Justice League Action||Mr. Terrific (voice)||2 episodes|
|2017||BoJack Horseman||Miles (voice)||Episode: "The Judge"|
|2013||Grand Theft Auto V||Himself on the FlyLo FM radio station|
- My Name is Hannibal (2010)
- Animal Furnace (2012)
- Live from Chicago (2014)
- Comedy Camisado (2016)
- Hannibal Takes Edinburgh (2016)
|"A Slow Death"||2013||itsTheReal, DJ Drama||Urbane Outfitters, Vol. 1|
|"Doug Stamper (Advice Raps)"||2014||Open Mike Eagle||Dark Comedy|
|"Get It Together"||2015||Serengeti||Kenny Dennis Flexi|
|"Intro"||Statik Selektah||Lucky 7|
|"Hannibal Interlude"||Lil Dicky||Professional Rapper|
|"Nothin' But Love"||BJ the Chicago Kid, Joey Badass||N/A|
|"All the Way"||2016||Jeremih, Chance the Rapper, King Louie||Merry Christmas Lil' Mama|
|"The Moonlanding"||2017||The Cool Kids||Special Edition Grandmaster Deluxe|
|"OhSh"||2018||Jean Grae, Quelle Chris||Everything's Fine|
Awards and nominations
|2007||Stand-up routine||Chicago's Funniest Person||Time Out Chicago||Chicago-based contest||Won|
|2010||Saturday Night Live||Emmy Award||Academy of Television Arts & Sciences||Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Series||Nominated|
|2011||Funny As Hell||Best Performance in a Hosted Stand-Up/Sketch Comedy Program or Series||Gemini Awards||Best Performance in a Hosted Stand-Up/Sketch Comedy Program or Series||Won|
|2012||30 Rock||Writers Guild of America Award||Writers Guild of America||Outstanding Achievement – Comedy Series||Nominated|
|2012||Stand-up routine||American Comedy Award||Comedy Central||Best Club Comic||Won|
|2014||The Eric Andre Show||Best Talk Show Host||Adult Swim||Best Talk Show Host||Won|
- NPR Staff (September 12, 2013). "Hannibal Buress and the Comedy of the Unexpected". NPR.
- BigBoyTV (August 30, 2016), Hannibal Buress on "The Eric Andre Show", Bill Cosby, And More! (Full Interview) | BigBoyTV, retrieved June 25, 2018
- Fishman, Elly. "Is Hannibal Buress the Funniest Man Alive?". Chicago Magazine. Chicago Tribune Media Group. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- Raghav Mehta (February 4, 2013). "Interview: Hannibal Buress". vita.mn.
- "Is Hannibal Buress the Funniest Man Alive?". Chicago magazine. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- "Comedian Hannibal Buress' star is rising". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- "BA #064:'Open' Mike Eagle". Box Angeles podcast.
- Evans, Bradford (October 9, 2013). "Talking to Hannibal Buress About 'The Eric Andre Show', His Comedy Central Pilot, and 'Broad City'". Splitsider. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Heisler, Steve (July 13, 2010). "10 Comics to Watch: Hannibal Buress". Variety. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Zinoman, Jason (November 3, 2011). "Off-Kilter, Laid-Back Stand-Up". The New York Times.
- Fishman, Elly (2014). "Is Hannibal Buress the Funniest Man Alive?". Chicago magazine.
- Ulaby, Neda (June 27, 2011). "How A Serious Accusation Became A Commonplace Quip". NPR.
- L. Ray, Austin. "Hannibal Buress Animal Furnace DVD Review". The Spit Take. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Chai, Barbara (March 5, 2012). "Scenes from the Secret Policeman's Ball". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- "Comedy at the Knitting Factory Brooklyn with Hannibal Buress Stand Up". Comedyattheknittingfactory.tumblr.com. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- Renshaw, David (October 20, 2016). "Hannibal Buress's Handsome Rambler Is The New Podcast You Need To Subscribe To". The Fader. Retrieved April 10, 2019.
- Limbachia, Dixie. "Hannibal Buress Sent an Imposter to 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Premiere". Variety. Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- Sarkis, Christian (September 29, 2014). "Photos: Aziz Ansari Wells Fargo Center | Ticket". Phillymag.com. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- McQuade, Dan (October 17, 2014). "Hannibal Buress on Bill Cosby: You're a Rapist". Phillymag.com. Philadelphia Magazine. Retrieved April 24, 2015.
- "Who is Hannibal Buress, and why did he call Bill Cosby a "rapist"?". CBS News. November 18, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
- Giles, Matt; Jones, Nate (March 3, 2015). "A Timeline of the Abuse Charges Against Bill Cosby [Updated]". Vulture.com. New York. Retrieved April 24, 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Braxton, Greg (November 24, 2014). "Comic Hannibal Buress is low-key on his role in Bill Cosby firestorm". Latimes.com. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 24, 2015.
- "Why Are Old Assault Claims Against Bill Cosby Back?". CBS News. November 17, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
- "Bill Cosby raped me. Why did it take 30 years for people to believe my story?". Washington Post. November 13, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
- Dayna Evans. "Actress Details Years of Alleged Rape and Manipulation by Bill Cosby". Gawker. Gawker Media. Archived from the original on February 21, 2015. Retrieved February 21, 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Barbara Bowman reveals her years of rape at hands of Bill Cosby – Daily Mail Online". Mail Online. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Shaw, Maureen. "13 Women Have Accused Bill Cosby of Rape – So Why Has America Forgiven Him?". The Huffington Post. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Harris, Paul (October 19, 2015). "Eddie Murphy Impersonates Bill Cosby While Accepting Mark Twain Prize". Variety. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Borden, Jane. "Hannibal Buress Would Prefer You Didn't Snapchat a Picture of Him in Bed". HWD. Retrieved July 31, 2017.
- "Eric Andre Is Insanely Honest Because Who Else Is Going To Be?". The FADER. Retrieved July 31, 2017.
- "In 'Baywatch,' Chicago comedian Hannibal Buress keeps his shirt on". suntimes.com. May 22, 2017. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- Nyren, Erin (December 10, 2017). "Hannibal Buress Arrested in Miami for Disorderly Intoxication". Variety. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Hughes, William. "Hannibal Buress was apparently arrested because he kept asking a cop to call him an Uber". The A.V. Club. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Valys, Phillip. "Hannibal Buress on Miami arrest: 'I don't believe I was at fault'". southflorida.com. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- Ovalle, David (August 12, 2019). "Comedian Hannibal Buress rips Miami cop — and gives a shout-out to defense lawyer". Miami Herald. Retrieved August 12, 2019.
- Iannelli, Jerry (September 13, 2018). "Miami Cop Who Arrested Hannibal Buress Caught Choking Man After Fireball Binge". Miami New Times. Retrieved August 12, 2019.
- Glazer, Eliot (August 29, 2012). "Meet All the Comedians in Sleepwalk With Me". Vulture.com. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- Gomez, Luis (September 22, 2013). "Chicago comedian Hannibal Buress talks 'Grand Theft Auto V' cameo". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- McCormick, Moira (May 2, 2008). "Comedian Hannibal Buress is on his way". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on October 14, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (2014). "Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Series – 2010". 62nd Primetime Emmys Nominees and Winners. Emmys.com. Archived from the original on November 16, 2014. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Writers Guild of America (December 7, 2011). "2012 Writers Guild Awards Television, News, Radio, Promotional Writing, and Graphic Animation Nominees Announced". Writers Guild of America Awards 2012. Wga.org. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Matheson, Whitney (May 9, 2012). "Are you a Hannibal Buress fan yet?". USA Today. Archived from the original on June 26, 2012. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Fox, Jesse David (May 17, 2012). "Talking with Hannibal Buress About His Hour Special, 'The Eric Andre Show', and Enjoying the Moment". Splitsider. Archived from the original on January 27, 2013. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Hannibal Buress". Carolines on Broadway. 2014. Archived from the original on December 20, 2013. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hannibal Buress.|