|Operator||Flughafen Hannover-Langenhagen GmbH|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||183 ft / 56 m|
Hannover Airport (IATA: HAJ, ICAO: EDDV) is the international airport of Hannover, capital of the German state of Lower Saxony. The ninth largest airport in Germany, it is in Langenhagen, 11 km (6.8 mi) north of Hannover. The airport has flights to European metropolitan and leisure destinations, and serves as a base for Eurowings, Condor, SunExpress Deutschland and TUI fly Deutschland.
Hannover Airport was opened in Langenhagen in 1952, replacing an old airfield within the city limits of Hannover. In 1973 two modern terminals were opened, which became famous because of their compact design. They became the archetype for the Sheremetyevo International Airport in Moscow. These terminals A and B are still in service today.
In the 1990s, trials of intercontinental services to the United States and Canada were stopped due to low passenger numbers.
In 1998, the largest terminal, C, was opened to handle more passengers, adding 8 more boarding gates and 3 bus departure gates. Up to 33 aircraft can be handled simultaneously, of which 20 can use aircraft stands equipped with a Jetway. All three terminals are capable of handling a Boeing 747.
From 1957 to 1990, the airport hosted the Internationale Luft- und Raumfahrtausstellung, Germany's largest air show. After a fatal accident in 1988, when a Royal Air Force Chinook helicopter hit a Jetway with its rotor, and German Reunification two years later, the air show moved to Berlin in 1992.
Development since the 2000s
In 2000, an S-Bahn connection was established between the airport and Hamelin via Hannover Central Station. This replaced the airport's shuttle bus service which ran every 20 minutes, more frequently than the S-Bahn, but took longer to reach the airport and railway station. The train service was extended to Paderborn in 2003.
TUIfly, which maintains a base at Hannover Airport, dramatically reduced services in 2008 and 2009, and passed all its non-traditional holiday routes to Air Berlin late in 2009. In 2010 Germanwings, a subsidiary of Lufthansa, opened their sixth base at Hannover. In 2017, now defunct airline Air Berlin fully reduced the flight program and operated its last flight from Hannover in March 2017.
Hannover Airport has struggled to generate increased demand in recent years, possibly due to a reluctance or inability to attract Europe's low-cost carriers to serve the airport. New routes from network carriers to their hubs were opened and closed after one season/year due to low demand (e.g., Aer Lingus, Air Baltic, TAP Air Portugal). Although traffic grew satisfactorily during the late 1990s, during the last decade there has been little growth. In both 2007 and 2008, traffic was down less than 1%, but in 2009 it fell by almost 12%. Hannover Airport is one of very few German airports which are open 24 hours a day, but there are very few flights between 23:00 and 04:00.
According to local press plans to restart scheduled long haul operation with a connection to Iran are currently under investigation.
Hannover Airport has three passenger terminal concourses named Terminals A, B, and C. The landside areas with shops, restaurants, and travel agents are interconnected, but each has its separate airside area with a few more facilities. Terminals A and B each have six boarding gates equipped with jet bridges, while Terminal C has eight of them. Additional bus gates are available in each concourse. Terminal A underwent a major refurbishment as the first concourse from April 2013 and reopened on 9 July 2014.
Airlines and destinations
The following airlines offer regular scheduled and charter flights at Hannover Airport:
|FedEx Express||Billund, Liège, Paris–Charles de Gaulle|
Hannover Flughafen railway station is located beneath Terminal C and features frequent services of Hanover S-Bahn line S5 to Hannover city centre. The journey time is approx. 17 minutes and the service runs every 30 minutes 22 hours a day. During important fairs like the Hanover Fair additional hourly services of Hanover S-Bahn line S8 link the airport with the Hanover fairground.
The 470 bus runs directly from the Langenhagen-Zentrum station to Hannover Airport.
Hannover Airport has its own exit on motorway A352, but can also reached via some local roads. Approx. 14,000 parking spaces are available.
- anna.aero (5 May 2010). "Germanwings' new Hanover base launches with 16 routes; half of 75 weekly flights target the Air Berlin monopoly routes". anna.aero Airline News & Analysis.
- "Tuifly to offer flights to Iran". Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "Hanover Airport: Fluginformationen: Hannover Airport: Fluginformationen: Karl Jatho". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Hannover Airport: Fluginformationen: Hannover Airport: Fluginformationen: Site". Archived from the original on 8 July 2014. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Airport-Terminal umgebaut - Schneller einchecken und mehr Komfort". BILD.de. 2 June 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Umbau Terminal A (Refurbishment of terminal A from OCT-2013 until JUL-2014)". Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Hannover Airport: Fluginformationen: Hannover Airport: Fluginformationen: Flight Plan". Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- Ltd. 2018, UBM (UK). "Aegean Airlines S19 service expansions as of 31AUG18". Routesonline.
- Air Serbia to launch twelve routes from Niš
- Zorana Mihajlovic signs agreement on 12 airlines of public interest from Nis 9 May 2019.
- Liu, Jim. "Condor S20 European network additions". Routesonline. Retrieved 22 October 2019.
- "Condor will inauguarte new route to Dubrovnik".
- "Flights to Hanover" Check
|url=value (help). corendonairlines.com.
- Liu, Jim (27 January 2020). "Corendon Airlines S20 Network expansion". routesonline.com.
- "Neue Strecken - Buchen - Eurowings".
- "Flight". fti.de.
- "Loganair launch two new international flights from Edinburgh Airport". scotsman.com. 16 December 2019.
- Ltd. 2018, UBM (UK). "Montenegro Airlines adds Hannover service from May 2019". Routesonline.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Nouvelair Tunisie expands Monastir - Germany routes from Dec 2017".
- Liu, Jim. "TUIfly S20 network additions as of 31OCT19". Routesonline. Retrieved 1 November 2019.
- Liu, Jim (24 January 2020). "TUIfly adds Hannover – Larnaca service from May 2020". routesonline.com.
- Liu, Jim (11 October 2019). "Volotea S20 network additions as of 10OCT19". Routesonline.
- Liu, Jim (3 December 2019). "Volotea S20 new routes as of 29NOV19". Routesonline.
- According to FedEx you can check the Travis for HAJ: Tu.-Fr. morning one flight to Billund (B734 or B738) coming from Liege, Mo.-Fr. Evening: One flight to Liege (B738) coming from Oslo and to Paris (B734) coming from Berlin-SXF.
- Unsere Flughäfen. "Regionale Stärke, Globaler Anschluss". www.adv.aero (in German).
- "Tariff info" (PDF). www.s-bahn-hannover.de. 2018.
Media related to Hannover Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Current weather for EDDV at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for HAJ at Aviation Safety Network