Hanns Martin Schleyer Foundation
The Hanns Martin Schleyer Foundation (German: Hanns Martin Schleyer-Stiftung) is a German foundation that promotes research in economics, law and cultural sciences. It was established in 1977 by the Confederation of German Employers' Associations (BDA) and the Federation of German Industries (BDI).
Hanns Martin Schleyer Prize
The foundation administers the Hanns Martin Schleyer Prize (German: Hanns Martin Schleyer-Preis), an award established by automobile manufacturer Daimler AG in 1982 in honor of Hanns-Martin Schleyer, a former business executive of the BDA and BDI. Schleyer was kidnapped and murdered by the Red Army Faction (RAF) in 1977 after being targeted by radical elements of the German student movement due to his role in those business organizations and his past activities as a former officer of the Nazi SS. The abduction and murder were part of an RAF campaign known as the German Autumn. According to its administrator, the Prize is given annually for "outstanding contributions to consolidating and strengthening the foundations of a community based on the principle of individual freedom."
The first of the annual prizes was awarded to economist and Nobel laureate Friedrich Hayek in 1984. In 2013, the Prize was presented to Helmut Maucher, former CEO of Nestlé and an outspoken critic of the German social welfare system.
- Helmut Maucher (2013)
- Helmut Schmidt (2012)
- Jürgen Strube (2011)
- Jean-Claude Juncker (2010)
- Helmut Kohl (2009)
- Joachim Milberg (2008)
- Günter de Bruyn (2007)
- Klaus von Dohnanyi (2006)
- Hubert Markl (2005)
- Meinhard Miegel (2004)
- Hans Peter Stihl (2003)
- Joachim Fest (2002)
- Helmuth Rilling (2001)
- Paul Kirchhof (2000)
- Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann (1999)
- Reinhard Mohn (1998)
- Ernst-Joachim Mestmäcker (1997)
- Hermann Rappe (1996)
- Bernd Rüthers (1995)
- Hermann Lübbe (1994)
- Franz König (1993)
- Birgit Breuel (1992)
- Kurt Masur (1991)
- Reiner Kunze (1990)
- Otto Schulmeister (1989)
- Golo Mann (1988)
- Hans-Georg Gadamer (1987)
- Karl Carstens (1986)
- Ernst Nolte (1985)
- Friedrich August von Hayek (1984)
- Schmid, Thomas (Oct 19, 2007). "19:10:07German autumn Hanns Martin Schleyer, the unknown victims". Die Welt. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- Varon, Jamie (2004). Bringing the War Home: The Weather Underground, the Red Army Faction, and Revolutionary Violence in the Sixties and Seventies. University of California Press. pp. 197, 245, 252, 342.
- J Smith, André Moncourt. Bringing the War Home: The Weather Underground, the Red Army Faction, and Revolutionary Violence in the Sixties and Seventies. p. 477. ISBN 1604861797.
- Schmid, Thomas (Oct 19, 2007). "Hanns Martin Schleyer, das unbekannte Opfer". Die Welt. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-07-15. Retrieved 2013-04-30.
- http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-7833195.html Der Spiegel Nov. 1998
- "Schmidt erhält Schleyer-Preis: Aussöhnung nach 36 Jahren - Inland - FAZ" (in German). Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Auszeichnung: Schmidt ist "zutiefst gerührt" von Familie Schleyer - DIE WELT" (in German). Retrieved 10 November 2015.