||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
22 January 1916|
|Died||27 September 1943
North Atlantic south of Ireland
|Years of service||1936–43|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Hans-Hartwig Trojer (22 January 1916 – 27 September 1943) was a German U-Boat commander in World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, awarded by Nazi Germany for extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
After completing his commander training, Trojer was promoted to Oberleutnant zur See and took command of the U-3. In March 1942 he was assigned to command the new Type VIIc boat U-221. He sank six ships for a total of 29,682 gross register tons (GRT) on his first patrol and he and his crew earned a mention in the Wehrmachtbericht for this. On his third patrol he was informed by a radio message that he had received the Knights cross. On 1 April 1943 he received a promotion to Kapitänleutnant.
Hans-Hartwig Trojer was killed when U-221 was sunk with all hands by a British Halifax bomber south of Ireland on 27 September 1943.
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (12 November 1939)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 24 March 1943 as Oberleutnant zur See and commander of U-221
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht on 14 October 1942
- Busch & Röll 2003, p. 326.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 751.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939–1945 — Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [The U-Boat War 1939–1945 — The Knight's Cross Bearers of the U-Boat Force from September 1939 to May 1945] (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 978-3-8132-0515-2.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Die Wehrmachtberichte 1939–1945 Band 2, 1. Januar 1942 bis 31. Dezember 1943 [The Wehrmacht Reports 1939–1945 Volume 2, 1 January 1942 to 31 December 1943] (in German). München, Germany: Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag GmbH & Co. KG. 1985. ISBN 978-3-423-05944-2.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Hans-Hartwig Trojer". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
Kapitänleutnant Otto von Bülow
|Commanding officer, U-3
3 July 1941 – 2 March 1942
Kapitänleutnant Joachim Zander
|First||Commanding officer, U-221
9 May 1942 – 27 September 1943