He started his worklife as a ceramist and even won the Bayerische Staatspreis ('Bavarian State Award') for craftsmen. His music is a mixture of Bavarian Folkmusic, Jazz, Rock and non-European soundclusters. Hans-Jürgen Buchner is a multi instrumentalist, playing a variety of different instruments. Some songs of the band Haindling are played by himself only.
In Bavaria Hans-Jürgen Buchner and Haindling are cult phenomena.
- German Music Award, Best Album National (1982)
- Pro meritis scientiae et litterarum (2000)
- Bayerischer Verdienstorden (2005)
- Sonderpreis des Kulturpreises Bayern (2005)
- Bayerischer Poetentaler (2005)