Hans-Jürgen von Arnim
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Hans-Jürgen von Arnim|
General von Arnim
4 April 1889|
Ernsdorf, Kingdom of Prussia, German Empire
|Died||1 September 1962
Bad Wildungen, West Germany
|Buried at||Bad Wildungen, Village Cemetery|
|Years of service||1907–43|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Hans-Jürgen Bernhard Theodor von Arnim (German: [ˈaɐ̯niːm]; 4 April 1889 – 1 September 1962) was a German general, reaching the rank of the Generaloberst, during World War II. He was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.
World War II
Arnim joined the German Army in 1907 and took part in World War I. After the war, he remained in the Reichswehr and then the Wehrmacht. Arnim commanded the 52nd Infantry Division in both the Battles for Poland and France. In October 1940, Arnim was given command of the 17th Panzer-Division.
Arnim took part in the Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union and on 1 October 1941, he took command of XXXIX Panzer Corps until November 1942, when he was appointed commander of the 5th Panzer Army under Erwin Rommel in North Africa. He replaced Rommel as commander of the Army Group Africa and was promoted to full general (Generaloberst) on 4 December 1942. He surrendered to the British forces on 12 May 1943.
- Iron Cross (1914)
- Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords (7 September 1918)
- Wound Badge in White (6 August 1918)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 (15 November 1934)
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award 1st Class (2 October 1936)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 4 September 1941 as commander of the 17th Panzer Division
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (addendum) on 13 May 1943
- MacDonogh, Giles (2007). After the Reich. New York: Basic Books. ISBN 978-0-465-00337-2.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Wegmann, Günter (2004). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Teil VIIIa: Panzertruppe Band 1: A–E [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the German Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Part VIIIa: Panzer Force Volume 1: A–E] (in German). Bissendorf, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2322-1.
Generaloberst Karl-Adolf Hollidt
|Commander of 52. Infanterie-Division
September 8, 1939 – October 5, 1940
Generaloberst Lothar Rendulic
General der Panzertruppe Wilhelm Ritter von Thoma
|Commander of 17. Panzer-Division
September 15, 1941 – November 11, 1941
Generalleutnant Rudolf-Eduard Licht
Generaloberst Rudolf Schmidt
|Commander of XXXIX. Panzerkorps
November 11, 1941 – November 30, 1942
General der Artillerie Robert Martinek
Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel
|Commander of Heeresgruppe Afrika
March 10, 1943 – May 13, 1943