||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Institutions||University of Chicago|
|Doctoral advisor||Joachim Gnilka|
Hans-Josef Klauck (born 1946) is the Naomi Shenstone Donnelley Professor of New Testament and Early Christian Literature in the University of Chicago Divinity School. Klauck is an ordained Catholic priest and a member of the Franciscan order.
Klauck studied in Münster and Bonn (Germany) and received his Doctorate of Theology degree from the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany in 1977. He completed his Habilitation (Dr. habil.) at the University of Munich, Germany in 1980. Klauck received an honorary doctorate from the University of Zurich in 2008. Professor Klauck was the 2003–04 president of the Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas.
Hans-Josef Klauck is one of the most prolific New Testament scholars today having worked extensively on New Testament topics, such as the parables of Jesus, Paul’s Corinthian correspondence, and the Johannine letters. In addition, he has specialized in the religious and social history of the Greco-Roman world as a necessary background to New Testament studies.
Klauck is the editor of Herders Biblische Studien and Stuttgarter Biblische Studien; coeditor of Hermeneia, Evangelische-Katholische Kommentar zum Neuen Testament and Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament; New Testament area editor for the new edition of Die Religion in Geschichte und Gegenwart; and main editor for New Testament of Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception.
Klauck has authored over thirty books and over 250 articles. His most recent books include:
- Die apokryphe Bibel. Ein anderer Zugang zum frühen Christentum (2008)
- Ancient Letter Writing and the New Testament: A Guide to Context and Exegesis (2006)
- Apokryphe Apostelakten. Eine Einführung (2005)
- Religion und Gesellschaft im frühen Christentum. Neutestamentliche Studien (2003)
- Anknüpfung und Widerspruch. Das frühe Christentum in der multireligiösen Welt der Antike (2002)
- Apokryphe Evangelien. Eine Einführung (2002)
- Dion von Prusa: Olympische Rede oder über die erste Erkenntnis Gottes (2000)
- Magic and Paganism in Early Christianity: The World of the Acts of the Apostles (2000)
- The Religious Context of Early Christianity: A Guide to Graeco-Roman Religions (2000)