Hans-Karl Freiherr von Esebeck
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Hans-Karl Freiherr von Esebeck|
|Born||10 July 1892
Potsdam, German Empire
|Died||5 January 1955
Iserlohn, West Germany
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Rank||General der Panzertruppe|
|Commands held||11th Panzer Division
15th Panzer Division
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Hans-Karl Asmus Werner Freiherr von Esebeck (10 July 1892 – 5 January 1955) was a German general who commanded the 15th Panzer Division in the Afrika Korps. He was also a conspirator against Adolf Hitler.
Esebeck had knowledge of and was sympathetic to the anti-Hitler conspiracy. He was arrested on 21 July 1944 and spent the rest of the war in concentration camps. Liberated at the end of the war he lived the rest of his life in poverty and died on 5 January 1955.
- Iron Cross (1914) 2nd and 1st Class
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (26 September 1939)
- 1st Class (15 May 1940)
- German Cross in Gold (20 December 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 4 July 1940 as Oberst and commander of the 6. Schützen-Brigade
- Mitcham 2007, p. 34.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 299.
- Mitcham, Samuel W. (2007). Rommel's Desert Commanders — The Men Who Served the Desert Fox, North Africa, 1941–42. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 0-8117-3510-9.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
Generalleutnant Heinrich von Prittwitz und Gaffron
|Commander of 15. Panzer-Division
April 13, 1941 - May 26, 1941
Generalleutnant Walter Neumann-Silkow
Generalleutnant Günther Angern
|Commander of 11. Panzer Division
24 August 1941 - 20 October 1941
Generalleutnant Walter Scheller
General der Panzertruppen Rudolf Veiel
|Commander of 2. Panzer-Division
February 17, 1942 - June 1, 1942
Generalleutnant Arno von Lenski
|This German World War II article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|