|Alma mater||Karlsruhe Institute of Technology|
|Known for||R*-tree, X-tree, DBSCAN, OPTICS, LOF|
|Awards||ACM Fellow, IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award, ACM SIGKDD Innovation Award|
|Fields||Computer Science (Data mining, spatial data management)|
|Institutions||Technical University of Dortmund, University of Bremen, University of Würzburg, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich|
|Thesis||Erzeugung von Übersetzungen durch Grammatikpaare (1976)|
|Doctoral advisor||Hermann Maurer|
|Doctoral students||Daniel A. Keim, Arthur Zimek|
Hans-Peter Kriegel (1 October 1948, Germany) is a German computer scientist and professor at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and leading the Database Systems Group in the Department of Computer Science. He was previously professor at the University of Würzburg and the University of Bremen after habilitation at the Technical University of Dortmund and doctorate from Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.
His most important contributions are the database index structures R*-tree, X-tree and IQ-Tree, the cluster analysis algorithms DBSCAN, OPTICS and SUBCLU and the anomaly detection method Local Outlier Factor (LOF).
His research is focused around correlation clustering, high-dimensional data indexing and analysis, spatial data mining and spatial data management as well as multimedia databases.
His research group developed a software framework titled ELKI that is designed for the parallel research of index structures, data mining algorithms and their interaction, such as optimized data mining algorithms based on database indexes.
In 2009 the Association for Computing Machinery appointed Hans-Peter Kriegel a "fellow", one of its highest honors. He has been honored in particular for his contributions to "knowledge discovery and data mining, similarity search, spatial data management, and access methods for high-dimensional data".
He received the 2013 IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award for his research on data mining algorithms such as DBSCAN, OPTICS, Local Outlier Factor and his work on mining high-dimensional data.
He was also awarded the 2015 ACM SIGKDD Innovation Award for his contributions to data mining in clustering, outlier detection and high-dimensional data analysis, in particular for density-based approaches. DBSCAN also received the 2014 ACM SIGKDD test of time award.
As of 2005[update], he was the most cited German researcher in databases, and data mining.
- ^ Hans-Peter Kriegel at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- ^ Association for Computing Machinery. "ACM Names 47 Fellows for Innovations in Computing, Information Technology". Archived from the original on 2017-02-13. Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- ^ Wu, Xindong (2013-10-18). "2013 IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award: Professor Hans-Peter Kriegel". IEEE International Conference on Data Mining. IEEE International Conference on Data Mining. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- ^ "2015 SIGKDD Innovation Award". ACM SIGKDD. 2015-07-22. Archived from the original on 2015-08-16. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- ^ "2014 SIGKDD Test of Time Award". ACM SIGKDD. 2014-08-18. Archived from the original on 2014-08-26. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- ^ E. Rahm, A. Thor (2005). "Citation analysis of database publications" (PDF). SIGMOD Record. Association for Computing Machinery. 34 (4): 48–53. doi:10.1145/1107499.1107505. S2CID 14390967. Retrieved 2021-07-08.
Most cited database chair in Germany, Nr. 2 in Europe, Nr. 10 worldwide
- ^ Microsoft Academic Search. "Top-ranked Authors in "Databases"". Archived from the original on 2010-12-04. Retrieved 2010-12-03.
Rank 13 in Databases
- ^ Microsoft Academic Search. "Top-ranked Authors in "Data Mining"". Archived from the original on 2010-11-29. Retrieved 2010-12-03.
Rank 7 in Data Mining
- Living people
- Fellows of the Association for Computing Machinery
- Database researchers
- German computer scientists
- 1948 births
- Data miners
- Machine learning researchers
- Computer science educators
- Academic staff of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Academic staff of the University of Würzburg
- Academic staff of the University of Bremen
- Technical University of Dortmund alumni
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology alumni
- German scientist stubs
- Computer scientist stubs