|Member of the European Parliament|
1 July 1994
20 May 1965 |
Olsberg, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
|Political party|| German:
Christian Democratic Union
European People's Party
Member of the European Parliament
Liese sits on the European Parliament's Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety, where he serves as the European People's Party Group’s coordinator. In this capacity, he was responsible for writing a report on including aviation within the European Union Emission Trading Scheme. He is also a substitute for the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy, a member of the Delegation for relations with the countries of Central America and a substitute for the Delegation to the EU-Mexico Joint Parliamentary Committee.
In addition, Liese serves as member of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Welfare and Conservation of Animals and of the European Parliament Intergroup on Biodiversity, Countryside, Hunting and Recreational Fisheries. Previously, he was a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on Active Ageing and Intergenerational Solidarity. In 2014, he supported Françoise Grossetête’s proposal to establish a European Parliament Intergroup on Health for Citizens, including stakeholders such as the European Cancer Patients Association and the Organisation for European Cancer Institutes.
A member of the EPP Working Group on Bioethics and Human Dignity, Liese is known for his work on a human cells and tissues directive and conservative stance on stem cell research. Between 2000 and 2001, he served on the European Parliament’s Temporary Committee on Human Genetics and Other New Technologies in Modern Medicine.
Since 2012, Liese has been a member of the CDU leadership under the party’s chairwoman, Chancellor Angela Merkel. In the negotiations to form a Grand Coalition of Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU together with the Bavarian CSU) and the SPD following the 2013 federal elections, he was part of the CDU delegation in the working group on consumer protection.
- 1989-1992: Graduated as doctor at the Institute of Humane Genetics of the University of Bonn
- until 1994: Ward doctor in Paderborn children's hospital
- since 1994: Doctor in general practuice and internist
- Former member of the Land executive of the Young Union, North Rhine-Westphalia
- 1991-1997: District Chairman of the Junge Union
- Member of the Land executive of the CDU, North Rhine-Westphalia
- 1989-1994: Member of Bestwig local council
- 1994-1999: Vice-Chairman of the Young Group
- 1994-1999: Rapporteur for the working party on bioethics and biotechnology
- since 1994: Member of the European Parliament
- since 1997: Member of the central committee of German Catholics
- Central Committee of German Catholics, Member
- Stiftung Zukunftsfähigkeit, Member of the Advisory Board
- St. Maria zur Wiese, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Jennifer Rankin (February 13, 2008), MEPs prepare to fight over top energy and environment jobs European Voice.
- MEP seeks to strengthen draft EU aviation emissions law EurActiv, November 29, 2013.
- Members of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Welfare and Conservation of Animals European Parliament.
- Member of the European Parliament Intergroup on Biodiversity, Countryside, Hunting and Recreational Fisheries European Parliament.
- Peter O’Donnell (November 6, 2014), MEPs seek coherence on health policy European Voice.
- German ‘no’ to embryo plans European Voice, June 25, 2003.
- MEP hates to clown around European Voice, March 10, 2004.