Hans Axel Valdemar Corell (born July 7, 1939) is a Swedish lawyer and diplomat. Between March 1994 and March 2004 he was Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs and the Legal Counsel of the United Nations. In this capacity, he was head of the Office of Legal Affairs in the United Nations Secretariat.
Before joining the United Nations in 1994, Corell was an Ambassador and Under-Secretary for Legal and Consular Affairs in the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs. Hans Corell graduated with a Master of Laws at Uppsala University. He currently sits on the advisory board of The International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life at Brandeis University and on the boards of the Human Rights Institute of the International Bar Association and the International Science Programme. He was chairman of the board of trustees of the Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law at Lund University from 2006-2012.
The Crimes Against Humanity Initiative
Corell is on the Steering Committee of The Crimes Against Humanity Initiative, launched in 2008 by the Whitney R. Harris World Law Institute to study the need for a comprehensive convention on the prevention and punishment of crimes against humanity, analyze the necessary elements of such a convention, and draft a proposed treaty. The proposed treaty is now being debated before the UN International Law Commission.
World Justice Project
Hans Corell serves as an Honorary Co-Chair for the World Justice Project. The World Justice Project works to lead a global, multidisciplinary effort to strengthen the Rule of Law for the development of communities of opportunity and equity.
- The Crimes Against Humanity Initiative Whitney R. Harris World Law Institute
- Cecilia Marcela Bailliet, "UN International Law Commission to Elaborate New Global Convention on Crimes Against Humanity" IntLawGrrls
- William A. Schabas, "International Law Commission to Work on Draft Articles on Crimes Against Humanity" PhD studies in human rights
- "Honorary Chairs". World Justice Project. Archived from the original on 2009-01-05. Retrieved 2010-02-24.
- "About the". World Justice Project. Archived from the original on 2010-02-03. Retrieved 2010-02-24.
- Hans Corell's Homepage.
- Biography at United Nations.
- Information from the Legal Counsel.
- Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law.
- Brandeis institute for international judges.
- Secretary-General Kofi Annan's Prayer for Peace.
|This article about a Swedish politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|