|Born||18 February 1899
|Died||18 November 1971
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1916–45|
|Commands held||2. Gebirgs-Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Hans Degen (18 February 1899 – 8 November 1971) was a highly decorated Generalleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Hans Degen was captured by American troops in May 1945 and was held until 1947.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (6 November 1917)
- Wound Badge
- in Black (11 October 1918)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Spanish Cross in Bronze with Swords (31 May 1939)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (1 October 1939)
- 1st Class (10 December 1939)
- Eastern Front Medal
- Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st class with Swords (4 April 1944)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (5 February 1945)
- German Cross in Gold (12 March 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 11 March 1945 as Generalleutnant and commander of 2. Gebirgs-Division
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 134.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Hans Degen @ Axis Biographical Research at the Wayback Machine (archived November 16, 2010)
Generalleutnant Georg Ritter von Hengl
|Commander of 2. Gebirgs-Division
1 November 1943 – 6 February 1945
Oberst Hans Roschmann